• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [q] sms pop up over pattern lock screen or transparent pattern lock?

mcdaaaniel

Lurker
Sep 13, 2010
Okay so here is my goal: I'd really like to be able to read my most recent text BEFORE I unlock my pattern lock screen. Preferably in the form of a popup. I really don't care if it's over it or on top I just want to be able to read it before I unlock.

I've done a good deal of searching, on xda and elsewhere, and I really can't find any information on how I might be able to do this.

I tried playing with the popup settings in handcent and I have got the pop up to show up over the lockscreen, but if the screen turns back off then I have to unlock the phone to see the text again. Is there anything I can do about that?

I even tried playing around with Sms Popup with no luck either.

Could I perhaps somehow remove the background on my pattern lockscreen so that I can see the popup behind it?

I'd also like to add that I'd really rather not use any third party lockscreen apps like WidgetLocker or Lock 2.0 because I really don't like them.

I know it's kind of a specific question but it's just kind of an aesthetics thing I guess.

I appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

Yeah I see what you're saying but i'd like to keep my screen timeout the way it is. 1 because of battery reasons obviously. and 2 because if i don't see it within the given time i probably just didn't hear it or i have chosen not to check it at the time. (This is the main reason I'm asking this random question because a lot of the time i don't check the message right when i get it) In either case a longer screen timeout time would just increase the chances of buttons getting pressed in my pocket.

I honestly could care less if someone sees my text message though. What i'm MUCH more concerned about is the privacy of my pictures, and that's the main reason i use a pattern lock.

Anywho, i've pretty much given up on coming up with a solution for this. I've improved my phones aethetics in other areas to where now i'm more than happy with it :) However I still feel like the best way to do this would probably be to make the background transparent somehow.

And as to your widgetlocker comment. I actually LOVE it now that i've figured out how to disable the system lockscreen and mod widgetlocker it's self. My main problems with it were that I didn't like the skins it provided and how it always seemed to be fighting with the system lockscreen. But that's all sorted out now. Now my only real gripe with it is that it seems to slow down the system a bit. However it is still bearable.

Anyway I appreciate your input. Sorry for the long answer. I've got a strange feeling no one is going to even bother to read this. lol.

Upvote 0
this thread has a couple of good suggestions for app/folder based protection
password protect the gallery? - Android Forums

in widgetlocker, make sure you have the 5second rule disabled, and let it use root override. should solve any issues involving it fighting the system lockscreen.

I've actually got all that under control now. I was just mentioning it because he asked. Thanks though.

You could try chomp sms and see if it works any better for you. I prefer it over handcent.

Yeah no luck with chomp unfortunately. However I have been using chomp over handcent lately and i've been pleasantly surprised at the slight increase in speed that i've noticed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones