• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Q] VIZIO Compatible Remote App (Technical Info Needed)

fodoom

Jan 6, 2011
I just bought my first "Smart" TV, the VIZIO E320-A0. Not the best set in the world by any means, but resisting the purchase based on the price point became futile. Being lazy, the first thing I did was try to find an Android app that I could control it with over WiFi. Well, after it took me an hour to get my Cable box to work on it :)

I did find this app but it seems to be compatible with Samsung sets only.

Here is a thread that didn't really get any useful answers.

I have no dev experience with Android (or any compiled language besides C++ many years ago) but I want to try my hand at developing one. I would like to request information on how to go about seeing if it is even possible to control a VIZIO TV via WiFi home network.

I suspect that there is no way to control the Cable box itself without RF on the android device.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones