1. HUGE Androidforums.com UPDATE! Learn what's new (and download the new app!)
    Dismiss Notice

QBOX with S905 and Mali 450 too slow for 1080p?

Last Updated:

1. EM_T760

EM_T760 New Member This Topic's Starter

I recently bought a Android Qbox off Ebay that has the S905 quad-core cortex-A53 with the Mali 450 5 core GPU. I tried streaming 1080p movies through Exodus and it seems a bit choppy and not as smooth as I was expecting. I tried changing to the HDMI sync to ON and it seems to work better on some movies.

My question is there a setting to fix this? I'm using a 55" LG 4k tv to watch. Do you guys think this a hardware issue or software? Should I upgrade to the Beelink GT1 with the 8 CPU and Mali820?

Advertisement
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. Andrew Cole

Andrew Cole Well-Known Member

Exodus (etc) "scrapes" video hosting sites to find content that is shared around the world.

Upgrading your hardware won't make any difference. You still have to battle the same bandwidth with everyone else.

mikedt likes this.
  3. EM_T760

So your saying its a bandwidth issue? I'm using AC1200 5G wifi . I suppose I can upload video clips via sd card and see how that plays vs streaming. Good point though.

4. Andrew Cole

Also... Use the native video player to watch them NOT VLC or KODI!

The native player on my box looks horrible and has a clunky, minimal interface but plays any video I throw at it WITHOUT stutter while the same videos have problems with VLC and KODI, etc.

This is especially noticeable with the hi-res NFL games that I do not download and watch offline without permission from the NFL, blah blah blah... Oops! ;)

Let us know how the test goes. :)

5. EM_T760

Ok so I downloaded two clips from H264.com. One being Starwars Rouge One trailer in 1080p and the other Gravity in 1440P/2k. I used the default player installed and viewed them directly from USB. On Rouge One at 1080p some of the battle scenes slowed down a bit, not very noticeable. But this FPS counter indicated 50 at the highest, not sure how accurate it is. As it doesn't seem to always match the video. But overall the 1080p and 1440P clips played much more smoothly as you predicted. I still noticed during a complex scenes and with alot of stuff going on it slowed down ever so slightly. Very hard to tell... My friend says doesn't notice anything. But being a PC gamer I can tell when there is frame rate issues as I'm used to Monster GPU's like the GTX 1070.

My 5G upload speed is like 9 Mbs down and 8 up. With a 512 latency rating. I'll have to investigate that.

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Doesn't surprise me actually. The Amlogic S905 is a very cheap processor. The Qbox is a $30 device and comparing with a $2000 high performance PC gaming rig or something. :D I've got some 1080P H265 10-bit encoded MKVs, and the cheap Amlogic CPU in my Android DLP projector just can't play them properly at all, no matter what video player I try, like VLC. On the other hand the Snapdragon 652 in my Oppo R9 Plus phone plays them perfectly, as do a couple of Macbooks I've got. So if I want to project and watch them on the big screen, I use the MacBook via HDMI to the projector.

1080P H264 MKVs the Amlogic CPU can play OK, I've found, but it definitely chokes on 4K video samples I've tried. Just doesn't have enough horse power.

Andrew Cole likes this.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  7. EM_T760

Yeah, I might upgrade to the Beelink Beelink GT1 with the 8 Core CPU. Hardware looks a bit better :) But I found a article where a setting going into Kodi theres a setting to have the frames sync,sorta like V sync on a gaming pc helped out !!!

This article seemed to fix alot of the issues I was having.

https://techreviewstricksandtips.wo...-to-solve-23-976-fps-video-jitter-using-xbmc/

Andrew Cole and mikedt like this.
  8. Koopakid

Koopakid Member

Hey it's great you found a solution! I was going to suggest enabling hardware acceleration if it hasn't already by going to kodi's settings and turning them to expert then go to video, you should see an acceleration category, if these settings aren't enabled go ahead and try enabling them. If the box supports hardware acceleration this should solve some of your issues.

Also, exodus is probably one of the most used kodi addons at the moment, so whatever sources exodus uses experiences quite a heavy load of traffic, which can make these sources pretty slow. I'd suggest installing specto, it's created from the genesis fork and isn't used as much. This is the addon I use and the only issue I have ever had has been when it breaks, which all addons do from time to time.

Here's a quick tutorial on how to install specto

9. Andrew Cole

I think you'll find someone has edited your post for you! ;)