Qik on HTC Evo 4G

Last Updated:

1. pingpongboss

pingpongboss Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

YouTube - Qik on HTC Evo 4G

Vid taken from Motorola Droid.

Playing around with Qik for a bit. I was under the impression that Qik is supposed to provide 2-way "vid chat", which it doesn't. It uses your Evo's FRONT camera (not the 8 megapixel cam on the back) or BACK camera to stream a live video to the web.

As you can see, there is noticeable lag. I don't think it's possible to view the live stream on another smartphone using either the browser or Qik. I can only view my live video feed from my desktop.

Advertisement
  2. wase4711

wase4711 Well-Known Member

i dont think they have released the video chat software for the evo yet;
    I've used it on my Incredible for a few weeks, and it works very nice, but the video chat software is supposed to be completely different than the "regular" Qik..

3. jtemple42000

jtemple42000 Well-Known Member

wase is correct, the two way video chat software is not currently available.

I would imagine that even after the actual video chat software is available, it will probably still have some issues.

I have been using Qik for a few years. It's fun to use once in a while, but seemed to lag about 30-60 seconds behind on the web page. Maybe if I had the 4g coverage it may work better or maybe not. The software has a buffer that it fills before it starts to upload to the web page. After I stop recording, it usually continues to upload of another 30-60 seconds. That is were the lag you are talking about comes from.

4. NiCK Crush

NiCK Crush Well-Known Member

that looks pretty cool

5. pingpongboss

pingpongboss Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hmm interesting. I can't wait until the actual 2-way video chat client arrives.

6. Aridon

Aridon Well-Known Member

Well two buffers could easily account for 30-60 second lag.

7. jvs60

jvs60 Well-Known Member

in the pocket now apps review they show the video chat app working on that phone

8. Nathy321

Nathy321 Active Member

yea starting June 4, Qik will have mobile to mobile video chat, and mobile to PC as well, it's not available as of yet