Q's about my rig- Backups

Last Updated:

1. Mehta23

Mehta23 Well-Known Member

2. Mehta23

Now that most of my PC is set up , I was wondering if there were any 'care' things I should be doing in the future e.g. cleaning the dust filters etc?
  3. pbf98

pbf98 Well-Known Member Contributor

for your monitor I would do -Acer S240HLbid I have two of them and I love them.

As far as key boards and mice thats more of personal opinion, for keyboards myself, I like "laptop style" which by that I mean flat keys.. and for mice I like the small ones that most people use for laptops.. but again those are all personal preferences.

For speakers last two time I've gotten them I have gone with logitech, they are pretty good quality and a decent price range. Good luck with your build
    Mehta23 likes this.
  4. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

I would suggest going with either an Asus or a Samsung monitor, currently i have a Samsung 27" and i love it so much, they do have a slight issue with Horizantal screen tearing on some of them, i got a good one though and it is amazing picture quality, a little more bang for your buck if you ask me :)
  5. Mehta23

Yeah, there's the Acer and this Asus : ASUS VE247H 24 inch LED Widescreen Full HD 1080p Support with HDMI 2ms Response Time Splendid? Video Intelligence Technology

No idea which to go for.

For the keyboard, I think I'm gonna have to try one or get that Sidewinder X4...
  6. Mehta23

In addition to my previous question , I was thinking about OCing.

I know it voids warranty but :

1. How likely is it that I would be needing to use the warranty?
    2. If a fault occurs , could I return it to stock clock before sending it back?
  7. Mehta23

8. snoop600

snoop600 Member

I have a Viewsonic 24" widescreen and it's fantastic. It's 1080p with HD. Beautiful picture. It was only $180.
  9. Mehta23

I think I'm going Acer vs Asus for £30 more... But there's a Samsung too far £120...

Too much choice
  10. SirSpace

SirSpace Well-Known Member

If your thinking about ocing be careful to high of settings will burn your cpu so unless you know about voltage settings and etc I'd suggest not to do it N if you do make sure you got. Good heat sink to keep the temps down so it doesn't over heat and damage cpu and yes as far as I know you can set it back to stock speeds but I if I were you try not letting a fault to occur cause after u save settings to bios reboot if cpu cant handle new settings ur cpu is now toasted
  11. Mehta23

\I can't bloody decide.

There are too many monitors to go for !

I really need help on what to go for ... I was thinking the Samsung or Asus but I don't know anymore.

Next point :

I've spent around
  12. Mehta23

My Western Digital Black Caviar is really loud , and in the Windows System score thing it get 5.7....

Any way to improve it ? Or is it not a accurate test?
  13. Rolo42

Rolo42 Well-Known Member

Do they still call them Caviars? heh

Loud compared to..? Is this a new drive? What model? I have a 2002FAEX and just ordered another one for wife's PC...love this drive.

The only way to get more than 5.7 is to have an SSD as your Windows boot drive (you'll get 7.9 that way). It isn't a refined benchmark, so don't use it for that. Use ATTO or CrystalDiskMark, HDTach...

My old WD Blues (4x 250GB RAID0) is getting 6.2. Hrmmm...yours may be low or RAID0 helps that much.
  14. Mehta23

Loud compared to all the other fans etc .

I can heat my hard drive over my old pc which is like 50 db.
  15. Mehta23

IS there a program which logs my CPU frequencies?
  16. Rolo42

Rolo42 Well-Known Member

CPU-Z for real-time (don't know if it logs to a file).
    Mehta23 likes this.
  17. Mehta23

Why does Amazon increase their prices for all the things I need?!!

Reckon there'd be a good time to get things cheap soon? Or is everything going up for early Christmas shopping?
  18. Rolo42

Rolo42 Well-Known Member

Give it a few days; I see that happen all the time. I keep the item in my wish list and check daily.
  19. Mehta23

I put them in my basket so it shows me how much they've increased by.

Keyboard / mouse and cooler aren't too important atm, so I don't mind waiting for a better price.
  20. Mehta23

Any tips for cleaning my monitor?
  21. CharlzO

CharlzO Well-Known Member

I have a package of LCD wipes that I got from I think Wal-Mart, for a few bucks. They're save for LCD/Plasmas so I use them constantly between my desktop monitors, TVs, and laptops in the house.
    Mehta23 likes this.
  22. Rolo42

Rolo42 Well-Known Member

Clean it after it's been off overnight; if you clean it whilst on, the heat will cause streaking.

Wipe in circles ("Wax on....wax off...") to also prevent drying/streaking and don't spray the whole screen at once for the same reason.
    NYCHitman1 and Mehta23 like this.
  23. Mehta23

Would glasses lens cleaner do the trick?
  24. Mehta23

Another one for you guys

ATM I'm indexing my C Drive ( hopefully to make it faster in searching )

If I set my PC to never turn off the Hard drives, and lock my account - will it still be indexing in the background?

Also, how hard is it to transfer the required data if I were to get a SSD?
  25. Rolo42

Rolo42 Well-Known Member

Yes, everything will run in the background. Indexing may even wake HDDs if they're asleep. (If you use your PC daily, I don't recommend cycling HDDs like that.)

There are plenty of clone/drive copy/move-to-SSD programs (free). I used Paragon Drive Copy 11 (free from giveawayoftheday.com).

Mushkin SSDs have great performance and excellent prices; I use them on my clients' builds (and wished I did on my builds).
    Mehta23 likes this.