Quality upcoming tablets

Last Updated:

1. irishpride

irishpride Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I think I'm going to be holding out until a decently priced(under $400), 7"+, capacitive touch screen, running Android 2.1+ tablet comes out. There are a few that fit that criteria , but who knows when they will actually come out.

Tablets to keep an eye on are...
    *Compal7 -
    Running Android 2.1, ARM Cortex9, 7" capacitive screen, pricing & release unknown.
    *Huawei S7 -
    Running Android 2.1, 1ghz Snapdragon, 7" capacitive screen, pricing & release unknown.
    *Prowave Lifepad -
    Running Android 2.1, ARM Cortex9, 7" capacitive screen, pricing & release unknown.
    *Malada SMB-A1011 -
    Running Android 2.1, ARM Cortex9, 10" capacitive screen, pricing & release unknown.

If anyone knows of any other upcoming tablets that look like they are going to be for sale in the near future please post specs here.

Advertisement
  2. 8Ball

8Ball Well-Known Member

3. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

Huawei S7 is a good one.

Shame its only 7" though.

4. irishpride

7" is about the perfect size for a tablet in my opinion. Not too big, kind of like like ipad and not too small, like the Dell Streak.

5. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member

I made those same assumptions when I started my trek for the perfect Android Tablet.

The issue with the 7" tablets is not the size but the usability. All of them are 800x480. Hence, they all have the same resolution as a 5", 4.3, 3.7,3.5 android screen. All the apps are designed for phones. Unless, until, app developers make tablet apps, the extra 2" is wasted.

For example, I do a lot of SSH/terminal. Connectbot doesn't work any better on a 7" tablet vs my Droid Incredible. Whereas on the iPad, the SSH/VNC app, there is a major difference from the iPhone version. The iPad app has hot-keys and keyboards short-cuts for CTRL, ESC, TAB, etc... It makes a big difference in usability.

I am started to think the 5" is where I want to go. Until we start seeing "tablet" specific apps that take advantage of the larger screen, I don't know if I want to go out and start experimenting (purchasing).

6. koppit

koppit Well-Known Member

irishpride likes this.
  7. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member

When there is a 7" at 1024x600, I'll be all over it.

8. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

@ koppit - I am personally looking for something that can semi replace my 13" Macbook.

How are the 7" sized screens on tablets for general surfing the net, watching videos and blog posting?

9. irishpride

10. koppit

koppit Well-Known Member

It's a pre-release. Check out the info on expansys.

For surfing, the 7" is way better than a phone, but not quite up to the same level as a laptop. Videos are not bad, but just like laptops, some screens are better than others. I could handle watching a full video on a 7" screen if the battery could last that long.

Blog posting ... well ... if you can handle doing it on a phone you could handle doing it on a tablet device. it depends on the touch screen, as well - if it's a cheap resistive one, you won't like it. If it's like the iPad, you may be able to handle it. I think I would want to do it only if I had an external keyboard.

Lukehluke likes this.