1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Queries before upgrading to Gingerbread.

1. viral1991

viral1991 Active Member

Hello, everyone!

I have recently bought the LG Optimus One P500, & am very impressed with it. :)

Was thinking of upgrading the system to Gingerbread & on seeing many users having done so, I wanted to ask some questions on the upgrade :

1. The shopkeeper recommended me not to upgrade the system, as the phone & it’s hardware is more suitable for 2.2, & upgrading will bring performance issues. On the other hand, I had heard somewhere that it also brings speed improvements over Froyo. So, what is actually true on the speed/performance front?

2. I remember that manually updating Nokia firmware was said to be very risky, since fault (electricity going, USB disconnecting, etc.) during the updating process could destroy the OS of the phone, resulting in permanent phone failure. Is it true while manually upgrading Android too?

3. HTC Wildfire S allows us to use the PC’s Internet Connection on the phone via USB (opposite of tether) Is it a native feature of Gingerbread, or is that a special feature of the phone?

4. Are the improvements in 2.3 significant enough?

5. Will all the data (contacts, installed apps) remain safe?

6. Is it possible to downgrade back to Froyo after upgrading?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Viral

Advertisement
    :
  2. 1. 2.3 is faster then 2.2, noticed a significant improvement in games (angry birds etc.) and scrolling/zooming in and out on browsers also goes more smoothly

2. The LG updating software did mention potential harm from disconnecting phone etc. I don't know if it does tough

3. No idea

4. Speed improvement (as mentioned by 1.) was the only thing I noticed perhaps a minor battery life improvement (slightly diffrent icons aswell but thats just a matter op personal taste rather then an improvement)

5. Still had all my contacts and apps after updating to 2.3

6. There was a thread around here somewhere about downgrading a optimus one so I guess it is possible. Can't realy imagine why you'd want to tough.

After updating it took a very long time to boot the phone (even removed battery once and tried again, was panicking a bit) just so you know.
    viral1991 likes this.
  3. viral1991

viral1991 Active Member

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. :) Really, this reply shows that you are opposite of what your username states. ;)

Thanks again!
  4. varungnath

varungnath Well-Known Member

@viral1991 If you are planning to upgrade and you dont care about the warrantly, i really suggest you go for Custom ROMS. They are much better than the buggy 2.3s that LG releases ;) :D

AND.... Never listen to the shopkeepers! Most of them dont even know the developments taking place in the android platform :D (Just a suggestion; not to offend anyone;))
  5. viral1991

viral1991 Active Member

Thanks for the reply. :)

So, do u think that upgrading will bring bugs into the system? Can't mess with warranty. :)
  6. varungnath

Not always! If you follow the right steps and if you select the right ROM, no issues! Even i had the same mentality...But going through the forums and feedbacks from ppl, i rooted my phone 2 weeks after buying it :D. Believe me, rooting is fun and even if you brick your phone, there are ways to revive it!
    But left up to you... :D

Also, lemme tell you... Bugs can be fixed!
    viral1991 likes this.
  7. Gremaldin

Gremaldin Well-Known Member

viral1991 likes this.
  8. viral1991

viral1991 Active Member

Thanks again. :) But, I was talking about your comment of lg's 2.3 being bad. :)

Does rooting void warranty?
  9. viral1991

viral1991 Active Member

Thanks a lot for such a comprehensive reply. :)

1. That's great! :)

2 & 5. I am from India too! Just called LG service center today, they told that the upgrade is available for this phone & they will do it!

3. Using a wired unlimited data connection on PC. :)

So, it seems that I should take up the upgrade. :) ROM, Flashing seems complex, but won't need it, I guess.

Thanks again. :)
  10. Gremaldin

Wow, you sure about that? Are you sure you didn't call lg customer care? The fools there will tell you the update is out, but it isn't. They have been saying so for months. But I guess info from the service center is more credible.

Well custom ROMS are not without advantages. First, all those crappy useless system apps wont be present. Second, its way way faster. Third, bugs are removed much faster than an official ROM.
    viral1991 likes this.
  11. Gremaldin

Yes, but dont let that stop you from rooting. You can always undo the root. And what Varun meant is, the firmware released by LG will have their own customizations (you gotta admit, the LG home screen sucks, samsung one rocks) and a lot of crappy useless apps preinstalled. Custom ROMs are much faster and bugs are removed much faster too.
    viral1991 likes this.
  12. viral1991

viral1991 Active Member

Yes, it was definitely the service center. :) They told to bring the phone & bill to them, & they will upgrade it.

OK, will surely consider rooting later. :)
  13. viral1991

viral1991 Active Member

Ok, thanks a lot. :)
  14. varungnath

Sure there is an upgrade! When i bought the phone, i did call up the cust ser ppl and they tol me there is an update available!
    Around 110 mb (Slow net connection, took almost 3+ hrs to download) and finally got my 2.2 froyo upgraded to 2.2.1 or something :D!
    So what they actually mean (as far as i know) is, there is an update for the froyo ;).
  15. viral1991

viral1991 Active Member

They specifically mentioned 'upgrade to 2.3' :)
  16. varungnath

Oh did they!!!? Then my bad :D
    Actually when i called em up, one guy did say GB is available and a different person said its not!
    I would never go with the 'words from the (their;)) mouth' :D. May be you could ask them if there is any official announcement that is available online which says 2.3 is out here!
  17. Gremaldin

When I bought my phone, it was already 2.2.1. I later updated to 2.2.2. That must be the update you are talking about. Plus, I called up the lg service center. They told me to go there sometime during first week of September. And they specified it was 2.3. So I guess the update is officially out, but maybe the guys at the service center didn't get it yet... Anyway, they specifically mentioned it was 2.3.

P.S. Dont listen to the fools at lg customer care. They have been saying the gingerbread update is out even before I bought my phone.
  18. viral1991

viral1991 Active Member

Hello!

Have recently upgraded to Gingerbread officially, thanks to the recommendations above. And its working like a charm! Very fast & stable, great battery, almost feels as if it's a new phone. :)

The only problem is that FM Radio app doesn't close at all. Other than that, it's working very nicely. :)
  19. samrox144

samrox144 Disabled

Try force close in app manager
  20. viral1991

viral1991 Active Member

Killing & Force Close both doesn't work. :)
  21. vipul619

vipul619 Well-Known Member

If FC isnt working, u should install Titanium Backup and freeze the FM Radio app, , i.e. if u dont have much use of it..
    viral1991 likes this.
  22. samrox144

samrox144 Disabled

It is not getting closed because it works when you connect ear phone....it doesnt consume battery so leave it
    viral1991 likes this.
  23. viral1991

viral1991 Active Member

Thanks for the reply. The program requires a root though, doesn't it?

Thanks for the reply. If it doesn't consume battery, it's not a problem. :)
  24. vipul619

vipul619 Well-Known Member

yep, a root is required..
  25. hackerboy

hackerboy New Member

I got the phone today.......and lemme tell ya , the upgrade to GB is available from LG...
    I just need some tips before i upgrade through the LG mobile update s/w coz this is my first android phone.
    What precautions should i take??