Query re Opera Mini 5

Last Updated:

1. madmonk

madmonk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all, first post here -

I've had the Desire for 5 days and after a little frustration with the actual phone calling side (keyboard needed calibrating i think) i can say what an amazing phone.

For browsing i used to use, on a decidedly NON smart phone, Opera Mini 4.2 which always used G internet settings, rarely E, and had no real problems - as i use the phone really as a pocket encyclopedia, and checking the news looking at forums etc, not for anything really high tech..

To come to the point, I've realised that Opera Mini 5 is by far and away faster than the inbuilt browser, and uses so much less data that i can cope easily with losing the pinch-zoom.

HOWEVER... where has my Wikipedia Search engine gone? Its Google only. I've ended up setting a separate bookmark for Wikipedia. The Search bar in Opera 5 that i briefly downloaded to my old phone had a drop down option when clicking on the search engine entry whatsit. I've heard some suggestions that I should disable or enable full screen editing but there's no setting for that on the software. The only option i can find is for the Full Screen (which is what it says).

Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. Geordie Ahmed

Geordie Ahmed Well-Known Member

Im not familiar with Opera so cant answer your query

BUT I used Dolphin Browser HD - very good browser, maybe its worth giving that a go

3. madmonk

That was a very quick response, thanks.

I've heard that Dolphin is as slow as the stock browser. I turned off 3G on my phone because it was taking a while for the phone to realise that there wasn't a 3G connection available before downloading pages. No problem with speed at all now, as it doesnt bother wasting time trying to find intermittent 3G signal.

4. madmonk

It's ok. I've fixed it. seriously - opera mini 5 is great, even on the G connectivity.

5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I hate it. It's.much faster though. I used opera mini 5 BETA 2 on blackberry and it was great. Looked slender, acted fast... then they released the final version and it got all chunky looking. Just like the android version.

Always hated the fact you couldn't make it default too.

As slow as it is, for now I'm sticking with the stock browser.

6. SUroot

I hate it. It's.much faster though. I used opera mini 5 BETA 2 on blackberry and it was great. Looked slender, acted fast... then they released the final version and it got all chunky looking. Just like the android version.

Always hated the fact you couldn't make it default too.

As slow as it is, for now I'm sticking with the stock browser.

7. ncjharris

ncjharris Active Member

You can make it default - have a search in the market place for an app called make opera default for a work around. its a bit cumbersome (sits in your main menu), but it works like a treat.

Only thing I don't like is that there is no auto adjust between mobile and full sites, it has to be done manually.

SUroot likes this.
  8. SUroot

Oh didn't know that. Thanks.