Question about 2.1 Update

Last Updated:

1. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm not asking when it is coming :rolleyes:, I just had a question about whether I need to use the Telus Rom when updating. (I have the Telus Hero)

Could I use the generic 2.1 update from HTC when it is released or do I have to wait for Telus to release its own ROM update?

I SIM unlocked the phone and am using it on Fido.

Debating whether to root....

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

A few threads have suggested yes, get your carriers release, i dont understand why though!

3. Blue1k

Thanks, I wasn't really clear on the why either.
    Anyone have a reason?

Thanks again.

4. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

Without rooting your Hero and installing a custom recovery image, it wont let you install a ROM that isn't for your carrier.

5. Blue1k

Ok thanks. I really hope Telus doesn't follow suit with Rogers and their oh so awesome non-existent support

6. quantumrand

If they end up taking forever to get an update out, rooting your phone isn't all that complicated, and once rooted, you will be able to install a generic 2.1 Hero update.

7. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

I am getting soo tempted to do this :D

8. Blue1k

Final 2 questions:

1. If I root can I stay with the stock ROM?

2. If rooted can I install any updates (ROM) straight from Telus or I am forced to use non-carrier ROMS?

9. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

If you root the phone and install a custom Rom, and then revert to a HTC Rom it reverts the phone back to stock, but yes you can swap between

10. rioja

rioja Guest

What's the best 2.1 ROM to use? I wouldn't mind trying it since I have a BB to fall back on if the process goes belly-up. I just find the whole thing confusing though. LOL

Also, do all the current/standard features work? Like Gmail/Exchange, txt msgs, etc. I guess I'd lose some apps but I'm not concerned with that.

11. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Best thing to do is search the forums, depends what you want from rooting, unless you have specific goals I would avoid it, the phone works great stock for me

12. quantumrand

If you ask me, the 2.1 ROM available right now isnt worth it. A lot of stuff doesnt work. Most of the HTC Widgets are broken. I'm fairly certain GPS is broken as well. They've mentioned there's issues with paid apps, but for me they show up on the Marketplace; I just haven't tried buying any.

13. rioja

rioja Guest

Thanks Quantum,
    I think I'll stay away from it. I love my HTC widgets/sense, don't want to give those up!

14. quantumrand

Yeah, it's really not worth it right now. I tried it for about a day, and at first, it seemed like I could manage with the little issues it had. But the more I used it, the more problems I ran into. It is really unstable, force closing quite often, even with simple things like unmounting your SD card.

Fortunately, a quick nandroid restore is all it takes to get your old ROM back, exactly how you left it, so if you wanted to check out 2.1, it's not much of a bother. Using 2.1 is quite the bother though.