Question about a samba client app

1. Arehexes

Arehexes Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a decent app to let me access my samba server but when I access it I want the app to let me choose which app to use for it. Some files the app won't load it, it will just say "can't load" instead of letting me choose a app to open it with. Is this even possible in android?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Arehexes

3. Arehexes

4. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Did you try EStrongs File Explorer yet ?

Harry
    Arehexes likes this.
  5. Arehexes

That is a nice app not gonna lie(helped me figure out how to get in a media folder) but I am looking for a app where if it doesn't know the file type it will let me pick a app to open it with.
  6. PathToEternity

PathToEternity Well-Known Member

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore&hl=en

Will this work for you?

After finding the file, long press on it and choose "Open by..."

This is also hand down the best app I've come across for phone storage browsing/management, and as a bonus you can not only access your LAN (which I interpret is what you are doing when you mean messing with samba stuff?) but you can also hook it in with Google Drive, Drop Box, etc. Oh, and FTP stuff. Maybe other things I haven't tried, too.
    Arehexes likes this.
  7. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

If ESstrongs doesn't know the file type, I'll have a long press on the file name for to get a pre-selection pop-up menu :)
    Then, with some luck, I can choose the proper app for to open the file.

But note, you won't see all apps of you phone for to choose, like with Windows.
    I think it's an Android thing.

Harry
  8. Arehexes

PathToEternity that app petty much does what I need it to do, but now I'm torn between your app and Harry2's app. Harry2 when I long press it I just get (text/photo/video/music) kinda need it to pull up a list of all the apps i have on my phone so I can pick the one that is needed.
  9. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Every one of text/photo/video/music let you choose a few apps, but not all apps of your phone.
    So, I admit, you might not able to choose the app that you want for a file to open, sorry.

Harry
  10. Arehexes

It's all good