question about accepting ota to unroot

Last Updated:

1. crimton

crimton Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

ok so i rooted my wifes phone using the old sd card in and out method a long time ago. i now realize i did that more for me because she still doesn't know or care what rooting is and she has only used the wifitether a few times. so my question is will i have to unroot her to accept the ota update for froyo can i just accept the update and let it patch root? i'd rather just accept it without unrooting if possible that way it should save all her settings.

Advertisement
  2. jratzo

jratzo Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to do this as well

3. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

As long as you haven't updated the radio or recovery image, the ota should install over it and take away your root.

crimton likes this.
  4. anvilt

anvilt Well-Known Member

I appreciate Dizko's answer, but I'd like to hear a "will" instead of "should" install over a rooted 2.1 OS. However, I would like to stay rooted so I can keep Wireless Tether. What's the best way to do this?

5. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

No one can know for sure until the updates start rolling out. If you are concerned, decline the update until other people have tried it. Not sure why everyone is so bent on taking the OTA if they want to be rooted. Just install the ROM that's already out there that is said to be the OTA. By the end of the week, I'm sure there will be several ROMS to choose from based on this.

lafester likes this.
  6. fillyo

fillyo Well-Known Member

7. yankeeboy

yankeeboy Well-Known Member

Honestly, I dont know the process of WHAT you would need to do from your situation, but I would guess that you can flash the RUU of Stock Incredible ROM 2.1 and root would be gone. You could just do the Unrevoked Forever thing after this and get S-OFF in case she wants a theme or something after the OTA update

crimton likes this.
  8. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

in order to recieve the OTA you need to have stock recovery, and if you want to keep root, use unrevoeked forever before installing the OTA

crimton likes this.
  9. crimton

crimton Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

ok so i guess i need to unroot and go back to bone stock so i can accept the update since i DO NOT want to be rooted anymore on this particular phone even after the ota.