Question about "always on" data

Last Updated:

1. karong

karong Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

In the settings I have Enable always-on mobile data checked. I would like to turn that off to save battery life but will my gmail still push or will i have to check it manually now? Also I have my twitter set up to check every 30 mins will that be disabled to?

Advertisement
  2. Barats

Barats Well-Known Member

With "always on" turned off, like I have it, you will have to refresh everytime manually to see if you have anything new. Facebook, gmail, etc.

3. sitlet

sitlet Banned

If you uncheck the always on data, then nothing will sync automatically. you will have to manually sync everything. The same thing will happen if you uncheck the background sync.

4. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Somethings will still connect in the background on occasion. As for gmail it seems, for me, that when I turn the screen on and check a few things it syncs things that have been waiting to sync.

5. Humpzilla

Humpzilla Member

I've had "always on mobile data" turned off for the past month...and honestly I haven't experienced any issues with syncing. Work emails through exchange still arrive instantly, Gmail seems to update virtually instantly as well. I have turned Facebook auto-sync off (since there was originally an issue causing FB sync to keep your phone from sleeping)...but I just open FB anytime I want to look at it anyway...I guess maybe if you have Friend Stream it might mess with that?

But anyway...in my experience, I haven't found any noticable changes in terms of data...and YES, the gain in battery life from turning this off seems to be HUGE.

6. drbgotenks

drbgotenks Active Member

Unchecking 'enable always' just turns off data when the screen is off (phone asleep). As soon as you turn the phone on (click the unlock button on top) it connects data and syncs everything.

The only issue is with streaming music apps like pandora. It tends to cause problem when the screen turns off (no data).

I look at my phone often enough that I don't worry about not getting push emails and updates until I turn on the screen. It starts to connect to data before you take off the unlock screen.

I think this is the best way to save battery life with android.

grindstoneslave and skwerl like this.
  7. skwerl

skwerl Member

I agree with DISABLING your Enable Always-On Data option.

GMAIL will still push when the phone is asleep, too!

grindstoneslave likes this.
  8. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

The other setting to disable (and a lot of people miss this one) is under Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings > Network notification. Make sure it is UNCHECKED. Otherwise your phone is constantly seeking wifi hotspots, which drains the battery FAST.

Turning this off will save you a lot of battery.

9. jsnole

jsnole Member

It won't notify you of a WiFi network if the WiFi radio is turned off, saving you even more battery.

10. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

very true.

I keep mine on because at home I have Verizon Fios, and I have the fios router broadcasting wifi for my PS3 and smartphones. Here's a speed test I did on my evo:

[​IMG]

and that's why I want my wifi on :)

11. jsnole

jsnole Member

I agree, i have mine on at home for the speed. But when i leave, its turned off to save battery life. I wont get any notifications while away with it off. I dont see there being a battery savings by unchecking the notifications...unless you leave wifi on all the time.