• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about Android Performance

fatboy2oo

Sep 22, 2012
Wasn't sure where to post this. I read about the Transformer Infinity and its specs and thought it was time to convert from IOS to Android. So I went out and bought the Infinity and it doesn't seem to perform as well as it should. Despite having the 4 Core Tegra in comparison to the iPad 2, it seems to be a bit sluggish. After rooting it, what can I do to optimize the performance of this tablet so that it runs applications and what-not at full-speed

Wasn't sure where to post this. I read about the Transformer Infinity and its specs and thought it was time to convert from IOS to Android. So I went out and bought the Infinity and it doesn't seem to perform as well as it should. Despite having the 4 Core Tegra in comparison to the iPad 2, it seems to be a bit sluggish. After rooting it, what can I do to optimize the performance of this tablet so that it runs applications and what-not at full-speed

once its rooted, unlocked etc. you have some options which can help to increase speed and performance of the device. Some examples of this would be :

download a cpu controller (i use no frills cpu-control) with this you can overclock your cpu and tweek the config to suit your performance needs.

remove any unwanted or unecessary apps from your device. Alot of the programs that come stock on the device can be removed and free up space and system memory.

find a custom rom/kernel for your device - alot of the roms out there have performance mods built in to increase performance etc and alot will also have the bloatware removed from them.

the last one isnt necessary, but hey, if you already rooted your device and such you might as well. The cpu tuner and removal of bloatware should squeeze some more performance out of that tab. lemme know how it works out for ya

Reactions: fatboy2oo
Upvote 0
do I have to be worried about bricking the device if im changing all of that. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to android tablets. If it makes a difference, this is the wi-fi version. no 3g or 4g to worry about. also, I'm not sure if it is running slower than it should. I just thought a tablet with specs as this one should have no problem emulating GBA

Upvote 0
herm... have you tried getting a benchmark of your devices capabilities? You can download quadrant for free from the market - post back with your results and we can go from there.

As far as the brick goes yeah its possible, BUT, as long as you find a reputable guide to follow for the root it should be pretty painless. Just follow the instructions EXACTLY and you should be fine.

Upvote 0
I've already rooted the device.
I am not sure if I am reading this right, but apparently my tablet is worse than its predecessor.
screenshot2012092214284.jpg

Upvote 0
At the risk of being called nit-picky, I'd like to point out that the title here is misleading. Nobody's talking about the performance of Android itself; it's all about a certain product that happens to include Android.

One of the main reasons why I'm not a notmePhone user is because Apple has their proprietary product set up to lock its owner into buying more and more products and services from Apple just to get the thing to work to its full advertised potential. Sadly, ASUS and most other Android-based product makers are doing the same lock-in trick. The good news is that because Android has heavy community support that allows me to remove all of the lock-in crap and set up my device how I want it to be, I can get my Android device to work at its full potential, free of all strings and lock-ins.

If I wanted a '733t gaming powerhouse to wow my friends with the biggest fps numbers, I wouldn't be looking at a netbook/tablet. So far I have no complaints about the performance of my Infinity as it does what I bought it to do. I plan on removing the ASUS backup / cloud / store etc. etc. etc. with the products that I want. Same as I've been doing with desktop style PCs for years... :)

Upvote 0
At the risk of being called nit-picky, I'd like to point out that the title here is misleading. Nobody's talking about the performance of Android itself; it's all about a certain product that happens to include Android.

One of the main reasons why I'm not a notmePhone user is because Apple has their proprietary product set up to lock its owner into buying more and more products and services from Apple just to get the thing to work to its full advertised potential. Sadly, ASUS and most other Android-based product makers are doing the same lock-in trick. The good news is that because Android has heavy community support that allows me to remove all of the lock-in crap and set up my device how I want it to be, I can get my Android device to work at its full potential, free of all strings and lock-ins.

If I wanted a '733t gaming powerhouse to wow my friends with the biggest fps numbers, I wouldn't be looking at a netbook/tablet. So far I have no complaints about the performance of my Infinity as it does what I bought it to do. I plan on removing the ASUS backup / cloud / store etc. etc. etc. with the products that I want. Same as I've been doing with desktop style PCs for years... :)

I see what you mean. If I can change the title, I'll change it to all apps, even simple one like the word processing app that came with the tablet run sluggishly. I can see what you mean about being nitpicky, except that I don't know how else to phrase the question. If I were on an iPad, I would have said iPad performance. If I were on a Linux, mac, or pc, I would have said my Linux machine, mac, or pc are running slow respectively. My tablet runs android, so I called it an android. Android to noobs like me sums up the device as all of the software.

oh and also, I don't want a gaming powerhouse. I want to be able to emulate GBA full speed with sound... not play little big planet

Upvote 0

wow, where did that come from? haha

Upvote 0
So change the software

Yes. Thanks for understanding what I meant and not nit-picking over what I said.
You mentioned rooting, changing the rom, and kernel. I have already rooted it. I use linux so I understand what the kernel is. That is what I am nervous about. I assume by rom, you are referring to the OS. That also makes me nervous. If I replace them, will I be able to restore the device?

and I don't where to find this stuff short of a google search. But given the ramifications of a faulty setup, I would like advice on where to start. I don't know which kernel to get or rom to choose. Also, I used my PC for rooting the device (because I couldnt find a way to do it on my MBP) and I couldnt get some driver called MTP to install. I managed to get the other one installed so I was able to get the device rooted, but is this MTP driver necessary?

EDIT: D'Oh Just saw your link you posted lol

Upvote 0
If I replace them, will I be able to restore the device?

I managed to get the other one installed so I was able to get the device rooted, but is this MTP driver necessary?

If you create backups and the like you can always restore back to the way your device is now. The link i left earlier would be a great place to start, theres dev support for your tablet and a bunch of dedicated tinkerers (nerds we are) to help fix issues.

regarding the mtp issue: i dont know if its necessary or not but i wouldnt take a chance haha. heres a link to a thread discussing a similar problem and the fix for it http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...nstalled/00b4f831-6381-4eae-98ef-f2c00bcdb35b

edit: after finishing the article i was peeping, the mtp drivers probly arent necessary for what your doing. "media transfer protocol" - probly related to syncing media or with software to sync computer and tablet. no biggie

Upvote 0
nevermind. I found it. lol

couldnt hurt to try a couple and see what suits you best per your performance needs

after messing with a shit-ton of devices ive never encountered a permanent brick. in most cases reflashing the stock rom/firmware will fix a brick but your back to square one lol. no reason to panic

Upvote 0
couldnt hurt to try a couple and see what suits you best per your performance needs

after messing with a shit-ton of devices ive never encountered a permanent brick. in most cases reflashing the stock rom/firmware will fix a brick but your back to square one lol. no reason to panic

Ok, I guess I'll try the one by Zeus

downloading the unlock tool. Here goes nothing

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones