• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Question about Android versions.

Upvote 0
Basically, Google pumps out a new version of the android operating system every 6-12 months. The current version is android 4.2 jellybean and has been out only a few weeks.

It is up to your phones manufacturer whether or not it gets updated. These updates take a lot of time on their end, and if your device is nearing the end of its product cycle, it isn't feasible for the manufacturer to put time and money into updating it when more and more if that phones users are upgrading.

There is also hardware to consider. Top of the line phones have the latest quad core 1.5 GHz processors, 2gigabytes of ram, ect. If your phone is more than a year or two old, its just not going to be able to run the new operating system up to the usability standard that was set.

This is where the computer analogy doesn't work. Mobile tech is moving wayyyy faster than the desktop. This isn't the same as comparing your 2 year old computer with your 2 year old phone. Your computer can probably handle windows 8 just fine. Your phone most likely can't handle 4.2

If you want to make sure you're always going to be on the current version, make your next phone a nexus device. Google handles the updates for these phones and you usually get the update within the same week its announced/released.

My nexus 7 tablet gets it the same day.

Upvote 0
So it's not like my laptop having Window 7 instead of 8.

8 is just a new start menu and other smaller functions.

No its not like that at all. I edited my response while you were typing , and I included a bit about that :)

The jump from GB to ICS was huge. That's why most phones are stuck in GB. They couldn't make the jump for whatever reason. 4.0-4.2 have been smaller updates, so generally if youre running ICS you'll make it to jb at some point

Upvote 0
:banghead:

We have a developmental thread in here for ics and JB. They are in the early stages of development though. Probably the best one to run is aokp alpha 3.. There are things that aren't working yet like the camera but it's a nice rom. My suggestion to you if you want a good rom that has everything running is to stick with ctmod right now

Upvote 0
Well, can this phone handle 3.0? My friend has the ZTE warp and his phone's GUI has that dotted looking app drawer button. Is the Marquee better than the ZTE?

3.0 was honey bread and was designed as a tablet os. They didn't release that update to mobile phones

You can flash themes and change launchers to make it look like honey bread or ics, but it's just a pretty costume on and ugly ginger(bread)

I knew I could squeeze in a ginger joke

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones