Question about buying phone from Dell and how will VZW handle it...

Last Updated:

1. mjd9ball

mjd9ball New Member This Topic's Starter

I would really like to buy a Droid, and right now Dell has it going for $119. But I am NOT eligible for an upgrade right now with VZW; does anyone know or have an educated guess about whether it will be a problem if I buy it from Dell and then activate it? Verizon is always crying about losing money on hardware, so i would think that if I'm extending my contract anyway they wouldn't mind. But I don't want to get stuck paying the difference for the phone if they get mad or something.

Also - my existing plan doesn't come up as an option when checking out at Dell. I don't want to completely chenge plans since I am on family share (with data/email). Anyone been down this road before?

Thanks in advance for any insight...

Advertisement
  2. MotoDroidHelpandInfo

MotoDroidHelpandInfo Well-Known Member

I'm GUESSING with Dell you have to sign up for a new contract or maybe have an upgrade. If you buy phones from another provider that aren't activated Verizon doesn't care so you can just bring it to the store or do it online. Provided the phones are for/work on verizon.

3. John Frykman

John Frykman Active Member

They only make out by either getting you on a new contract, or adding on to an existing one. Dell is an authorized reseller. You can bet they will tie you to a Verizon contract, since Verizon is the only carrier that has service for the Droid presently.