Question about clockworkmod

1. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

Can someone please explain what it is and what I'm supposed to do with it? Please keep in mind that I need a really simple explanation because 99% of the things I've read in these forums I haven't understood. Thanks bunches!

Advertisement
    :
  2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Clockworkmod is a custom recovery for rooted devices. It replaces the stock recovery when flashed. It's used for backing up your device (nandroid) and flashing ROMs, kernels, themes, apps etc. This among quite a few other features. If you're looking to root your device, it's highly advisable to flash a custom recovery (doesn't have to be CWM, can be TWRP or others).
  3. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the explanation. I do have one more question. I notice in a lot of threads the term flash/flashed like you used here. Could you please tell me what that means?
  4. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Flashing just means updating system software (which is stored in NAND flash memory - hence also the nickname "nandroid" for the backup made by recovery).

Do note that custom recoveries have to be built for each phone/tablet model, so you should never flash a recovery meant for a different device.