• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Question about creating themes

amanda77

Lurker
Jul 21, 2012
Hello everyone! I have a unique idea for mobile themes.I'm working with an app coder who knows nothing about design.I'm creating the themes.I would like to do actual themes and not just wallpapers.Do I simply create like a home screen with icons? Or does the icons have to be added when coding?

I'll give an example.Does the phone icon need some type of code behind it to tell it what to do or is it simply just an image?

I'm sorry for the dumb question.I only know about design and a little html.zo don't know anything about app coding.

Thanks,
Amanda

Firstly, Welcome to AF!

Now, I will try as hard as I can to answer your question. Basically, you do not create a whole phone by just designing it and it's good to go. Let me explain it more explainable. Lets say we're both creating a phone! Now the thing is, you made the design, but it doesn't have ANY functionality at all, It doesn't even boot. :(

Now what I'm trying to say is that something cannot run without its proper and specific functionality, and that's our code. You see a simple design cannot work if you don't set it via its specific functionality, like if you move your images to your app folder they won't just be there when you run your app. That must be added via code.

Now, for setting your android theme, you need to follow up a tutorial it's kind of complicated but hey, you don't need to code. WARNING: There's a report of an infinite bootloop or something similar. The authors of the tutorial and/or any other information source are not responisble in any way for the damage done to your phone.

How-to Theme Development - xda-developers

Creating your own Android theme [followup to Stericsons walkthrough]

Good Luck!
darkwispr

Note: If by any chance I broke a rule, I'm sorry (If links not permitted) My only motivation was of that only for education. Peaceful rest assured?

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for the quick response.I use Golauncher and I tried something on my phone.I uploaded one of my icons from my computer to my phone.Then I hit replace on one of my home screen icons and it gave me the option to replace it with an image in my gallery.So I selected my icon and it worked fine.

The developer that I'm working with wonders if the icons can be placed in like a gallery style page.Then do the same for the wallpapers.I'm just not sure how user friendly that is.They would basically have to do everything manually instead of just having everything already installed like when you install a Golauncher theme.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones