Question about data connectionSupport

1. ucraj510

ucraj510 Well-Known Member

ok so i have a couple questions about data connection
    i downloaded an app called switchpro widget
    i put one of the little tabs as disable/enable data connection
    so my questions are
    1) if i disable data connection (1x) will that save battery

2)do i need data enabled to make calls recieve calls, send and recive texts?

3)if i DONT want any updates for example like gmail or facebook and stuff like that can i just leave data off?

4)EXACTLY what does the "data" (1x) really mean

thanks for help guys

Advertisement
    :
  2. Tokenpoke

Tokenpoke Well-Known Member

1) yes
    2) not to my knowledge
    3) yes (gmail can be turned off by using the stock power control widget and turning synch off too)
    4) it's your data connection, for internet and anything other than calls afaik.
  3. Anduiril

Anduiril Well-Known Member

2) You don't need data for calls but you do need it to send receive texts.

3) Just turn off synch for the the applications you don't want to automatically update.
    4) Data is everything that isn't a phone call. Your text and MMS have to go through that connection, even if you are on wi-fi.
    KOLIO and septembersrain like this.
  4. septembersrain

septembersrain 句_句 Smurfing Awesome VIP Member

Wifi works differently than actual data doesn't it? Do you know the exactly major differences?
  5. Tokenpoke

Data goes to towers, this is why you need it for texting, to verify your phones unique id sent the message, not just an IP address. Wifi is very local too, tighter wavelengths means its much faster but has no penetration.
    Think of wifi as a waterhose and data/1x as a supersoaker, wifi will fill your bucket faster but a 1x connection will hit the Guy in the tree, through leaves and distance.

I guess that would be the biggest difference, data goes through towers and identifies your phone to the network.
    Wifi is a computer to computer (our phones ate just little computers with phone parts shoved in there) communication network that can be used to access the internet but you need the data connection so the phone company can verify who sent what.
    KOLIO likes this.
  6. Tokenpoke

Side note,

Why are you wasting power on a widget when you can just look in the menu under networks and turn data off?
    Or $15 for data you aren't planning on using?
  7. CRUMBsnatcher

CRUMBsnatcher Well-Known Member

I thought you only needed Data to send/receive mms, not sms. I usually get a mms message that says 'cannot be downloaded at this time' and then i turn the data on and it downloads.
  8. ucraj510

ucraj510 Well-Known Member

i jus use widget to save battery
    and for regular texts u DO NOT NEED data i tested...
    widget is easier than going through all that lol
    but i m going to cm7
  9. Tokenpoke

lol, i use texting in reference to mms, i'm on my phone and the keyboard refuses to learn "mms" so it's a pain to type.