Question about default sms appGeneral

Last Updated:

1. darkcyber

darkcyber Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

In the default text messaging app that comes with the Note 3 is there anyway to make it do a popup box when you get a text message and show up when the phone is locked? i.e. like Handcent does. With Handcent, if the phone is locked and I get a new text message all I have to do is look at my phone and it has turned the screen on and has a popup box with the message in it. I love Handcent, but playing with the default app now getting my messages to come up on my Gear and just noticing I cannot find a way to make it do a popup like that :(

Advertisement
  2. mrpnut

mrpnut THE WORLD IS YOURS VIP Member

The stock mms for the note 3 does have a pop up on the lock screen

3. jwither

jwither Well-Known Member

In the messaging app, Menu, Settings, More (at the top), Preview Message [ x ]

4. darkcyber

darkcyber Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah, you are correct. I guess I asked that incorrectly. The stock app does give a small popup, but you still have to swipe to unlock the phone to be able to really do anything. The popup with Handcent allows you to do a quick reply without having to unlock the phone. Can the stock app do this?

5. jwither

jwither Well-Known Member

Aside from Handcent not being compatible with the Gear watch, is there a reason you can't use it?

6. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

It's so funny because, that is actually one of the biggest complaints I had about the Note 2, when I first got it. I prefer my phone not waking up at all (just a notification LED). The phone stays on for the amount of time that you have set on the default (e.g. I have it set for 5 min., so my phone would just drain battery in my pocket without my knowing that the screen turned on).

That said, after doing a ton of searches on how to prevent it from waking the phone up, I found the perfect app that allowed me to keep using the stock messaging app, but also be able to control the pop-up (for me, not waking the phone up) and it should be able to work for you in the opposite manner that you're looking for:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.everythingandroid.smspopup

There is an additional setting for "quick reply" on that app.

darkcyber likes this.
  7. meganearlitz

meganearlitz Member

Hey. How are you able to do pop up on the screen with your note 3? Just got my note 3 today and it won't do popup. It turns my screen on and that's about it..