• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Question about Email on Droid

I have zero problems with Comcast pop email accounts or gmail. I have three pop email accounts and one gmail. I delete or save what I want from the server at home. The same goes with gmail. I use the combined inbox for everything on the Droid. If I will be away for a couple of days I turn on delete from server on the Droid and it is gone..

It really does work fine...

Upvote 0
One of my co-workers turned me onto community.seven.com. This seems to work pretty well at managing four different accounts. The only down side is it doesn't sync contacts or the calendar. Doesn't seem to chew up too much of the battery. I'm using Z7 and not Z7-1 since the latter locks up immediately. Use Other then Android when choosing the phone type.

Account TYpes

OWA - Work
GMAIL
HTTP? - HOTMAIL
POP - COMCAST

Upvote 0
I thought Hotmail was dead.. same as Outlook/Express..?? I had no idea people still used them .. Honestly.

My suggestion is this. If you buy a Google powered phone, use Google and Gmail. It is the same backward thinking as Macs running Windows with Boot Camp. It does not make sense. Why would anyone pay extra for a Mac, then install another program to run Windows? Right? If you want Windows buy a PC, they are cheaper and run Windows natively. The Android phones are no different, they are geared for Gmail, not Hotmail or Yahoo.. Just a thought. Infact I think you have to pay extra for Yahoo... :)

The pop email works fine. If you don't delete it from the server it stays on the server. I find it best to NOT check the delete from server option on the Droid and wait until I get home and run Thunderbird. Once Thunderbird is opened the emails are no longer available to Android, the mail is cleared from the server just by running the default mail program. For instance, I left my computer on with Thunderbird open all night as a test. I received NO email on my Droid. When I woke this morning I closed Thunderbird and started receiving emails on my Droid. It seems the Droid is a mail preview system not THE default email program, unless you check delete from server on the Droid. That is how it works for me anyway.

Here are some great tips from Google: Gmail: What's been keeping the Gmail team busy

*Update: A guy on another thread posted this:

"If you don't want to clutter your email on the droid, try the K9 email app. It gives you the option to delete or not delete mail from the server. My wife and I use the same email address, so my box is full of her importat stuff which would litter my phone. Now I can delete everything on the phone and keep it on the server."

Upvote 0
I've noticed a lot of shortcomings in the Droid email as well. They seem to have focused on Gmail rather than on POP3/IMAP email. Some shortcomings I've found:

• Generally odd behavior in loading email messages. It doesn't seem to load all the email from my POP3 account all the time. Sometimes re-loading email messages after I've deleted them. (Even with the "Delete from server" option selected).
  • No way to move deleted email back to Inbox (i.e. no undelete)
  • No way to empty the Trash
  • Needing to know the "Port" when setting up email accounts. How lame is that?
It doesn't seem that anyone really put this through any decent "real world" testing on how users would want to access their email.

Ok I was wondering why my aol notifictations only come to my droid when I actually go to my account. Makes sense google powered better googlemail... but off topic I've notice that my fb widget hasn't updated since like tues I wonder why any thoughts???

Upvote 0
Under the phone's main settings, then under "Accounts", make sure the listed Facebook account is set to sync...along with all the other "Background Processes".
I would do that but then my contacts get real messed. Like right now I had to addd the phone folder to my home screen, bc everytime I go to add contacts they don't store in the contact folder but in the phone folder.

Upvote 0
I thought Hotmail was dead.. same as Outlook/Express..?? I had no idea people still used them .. Honestly.

My suggestion is this. If you buy a Google powered phone, use Google and Gmail. It is the same backward thinking as Macs running Windows with Boot Camp. It does not make sense. Why would anyone pay extra for a Mac, then install another program to run Windows? Right? If you want Windows buy a PC, they are cheaper and run Windows natively. The Android phones are no different, they are geared for Gmail, not Hotmail or Yahoo.. Just a thought. Infact I think you have to pay extra for Yahoo... :)

The pop email works fine. If you don't delete it from the server it stays on the server. I find it best to NOT check the delete from server option on the Droid and wait until I get home and run Thunderbird. Once Thunderbird is opened the emails are no longer available to Android, the mail is cleared from the server just by running the default mail program. For instance, I left my computer on with Thunderbird open all night as a test. I received NO email on my Droid. When I woke this morning I closed Thunderbird and started receiving emails on my Droid. It seems the Droid is a mail preview system not THE default email program, unless you check delete from server on the Droid. That is how it works for me anyway.

Here are some great tips from Google: Gmail: What's been keeping the Gmail team busy

*Update: A guy on another thread posted this:

"If you don't want to clutter your email on the droid, try the K9 email app. It gives you the option to delete or not delete mail from the server. My wife and I use the same email address, so my box is full of her importat stuff which would litter my phone. Now I can delete everything on the phone and keep it on the server."

Pretty dumb post. Hotmail POP3 works well with other devices without having to jump through hoops and remembering where and where not to delete server emails. It should work on the droid too. Good thing you don't work for Google! I am sure they will fix it soon.

Upvote 0
To stop deleted emails from re-downloading back to your Droid go to Settings>Accounts & sync and turn off Sync for gmail or other email clint. I have an AOL account and every time I would delete my emails they would come right back. A BIG pain in the butt. Doing the above solved the problem. If you have another email client other then gmail turn off Sync. Hope this helps.

Don

Upvote 0
This has nothing to do with the POP mail problems ... just my observation on a statement about Mac users and Windows software.

In response to the "why do people buy Macs and load Boot Camp to run Windows" statement ... some programs are Windows only - no Mac version - and if the Mac is your choice of computer (which as far as I'm concerned it should be) than Boot Camp will be needed - depending on the program you need to run.

Let's put it another way ... people who use Boot Camp have to - they have no choice. It's that or use two separate computers - one Mac and one Windows based.

Or to really drive home the point ... why don't software vendors accept the fact that there are people out there who prefer a Mac over a Windows based computer and therefore provide their software for BOTH platforms.

Upvote 0
first post...

I have a droid x and my email is on an exchange server. I inadvertantly permanently deleted 1000's of emails in my deleted box on my exchange server and thus outlook on my home pc. Fortunately they are still on my droid in the trash for some reason. So I'd like to copy or somehow upload those emails from my droid. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Hi, I am using Samsung S2 Android phone and sycnronizing my domain Emails hosted in Google Apps. I have used Incoming & outgoing email server settings as 'pop.gmail.com;port:995 and smtp.gmail.com; port:587. I am able to sychronize my domain emails where I am facing two problems. 1) whenver I sync up my phone, I do not see old opened emails on the devise and 2) If I open new incoming emails in phone, these emails do not synchronize (do not showup) in Outlook (using Outlook as a client for Google Apps emails). Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones