Question about Engtools3.zip

Last Updated:

1. greenmunky

greenmunky Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, so last night I finally got the Android SDK installed properly and the command prompt communicating with my phone. Using the newer ([WORKING] ROOT for all Eris' - xda-developers) root method I pushed Engtools3.zip to my phone from the command prompt rather than any other custom ROM because I didn't want to completely wipe my phone, just get SU. However, after successfully pushing it, rebooting in recovery and choosing to flash Engtools3.zip and installing I don't notice anything different, there's no SU icon anywhere in the notification bar and when I re-tested my connection through the command prompt by typing "adb shell" I still got a "$" instead of "#." Am I doing something wrong because according to the XDA thread with the root instructions I should be able to flash engtools without having to wipe to get super user permissions. Please help.

Also... my reasoning behind installing Engtools3.zip rather than evileris or any other ROM right away is so that I could install Titanium and properly backup all my setting and such so as to not have to re-setup all that stuff after wiping and flashing. Would that even work or am I completely misunderstanding this process?

Advertisement
  2. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Sounds like you did everything right. You won't see anything different on the phone after flashing engtools. I rooted, flashed engtools and the overclock patch, then installed SetCPU and OC'd to 768mhz. Everything seems fine. I don't know about the "$" and "#" thing... i didn't try that.

3. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

If you flashed the engtools.zip you should have superuser permissions as an app in your app drawer.

4. LED

LED Well-Known Member

^ Ahh yes, thanks, I didn't notice that until you said something.

5. greenmunky

Okay, I did find the Superuser Permissions in my app drawer but when I open it, its just empty, are three supposed to be things I can toggle or is that where I would configure apps that have superuser capabilities?

6. LED

LED Well-Known Member

You don't want to run it like that. Other apps that need su (like SetCPU) will call it. Now that you are rooted, what are trying to do?

7. Papadroid

It's going to remain empty until you use an app that will require root access. Also something that many people have had problems with is using adb and gaining root access for the first time, when trying to get su from the adb you must click allow on your phone just like an app installed on your phone requires.

greenmunky likes this.
  8. greenmunky

Well, now that I'm rooted I'd like to install Titanium tools so that I can backup my settings and apps so that when I flash and wipe my phone to install a new ROM I can restore all that stuff instead of redoing it every time. Is that how it works?

9. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Yes, but you could use Nand backup from the recovery screen (already included with root). Titanium has a nice GUI, but if you mess up your phone so bad as to not be able to get into your OS, then at least you can restore from nand.

10. Papadroid

Nand backups can only be used to restore the whole ROM with data, not restoring just data and apps. Yes you can use Titanium Backup or MyBackup Pro to restore data and apps to make switching ROMs easier.

11. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Good info. So maybe worth having both?

12. Papadroid

Yes but one has nothing to do with the other. A nand backup is a complete image of your current setup, so when you restore that image it will look exactly as it does right now. But it can not be used to just restore data and apps. This is where Titanium or MyBackup comes in, these apps can backup just certain data and apps to make switching ROMs easier and so that you won't lose things like SMS/MMS messages, call logs, bookmarks, and apps. Although you can just redownload your apps from the market but MyBackup and Titanium will also restore data you had in those apps. A good example is keeper, a password app that I use, when I restore my apps with MyBackup it is also restoring all the data from that app, so all of my passwords I had in there are restored.

greenmunky and LED like this.
  13. greenmunky

Do I have to purchase Titanium in order to make use of the data/settings restore functions? Would I have to re-download Titanium in order to restore after a ROM wipe and flash?

14. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

Titanium is free........... yes if the rom you flash doesnt already have it built in (I believe a couple do) then you will have to reinstall titanium but as long as you didnt wipe your SD the backups are still there.......

as far as the $ vs # question earlier........ when you adb shell and get the $ just type SU and it should switch to #

15. Papadroid

See answers above

16. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Will apps that have been restored with either Titanium or MyBackupPro be able to automatically update via the market?

17. Papadroid

Yes, with a rooted phone both backup apps will backup and restore market links.

LED likes this.