Question about Eris updates and PagePlusGeneral

Last Updated:

1. fzzzt

fzzzt New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I just bought an Eris on eBay ($250) and switched to PagePlus from Verizon last week. I probably should have waited, but didn't know about 2.x. The phone will pay for itself in 4 months with the monthly savings. Anyway, does anyone know if PPC would get the updates as well, since they use VZW's network? I'm guessing no, they would have to set up their own distribution, but don't really know. If not, the only hope I have is for it to be rooted and flash the ROM (or whatever), right? So I should add to the bounty, right? :)

Sadly my only reason for wanting 2.x is a SyncML client. :(

Josh

Advertisement
  2. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

Thats a good question. I dont think you will get the update OTA since your not on Verizon. With past updates there have been options to install yourself, though it does do a factory reset. This should be an option for 2.x as well.

3. fzzzt

fzzzt New Member This Topic's Starter

Are these self-installs provided by HTC, or is it a hunt-and-hack sort of situation? I don't mind a factory reset, I can re-program and don't have any worthwhile data on there yet (that's what 2.x is supposed to enable).

Thanks for the reply.

4. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

I think they were provided from Verizon, if memory serves me right.

5. gsnider

gsnider Member

I activated my Eris on PPC as soon as I got it from ebay. I got both of the OTA updates on my phone while it was on PPC. I don't think we'll have any issues with 2.1 on PPC other than the fact that it sneaks down OTA and uses a bunch of data. I think you can have wifi connected and mobile network turned on and it will download from wifi but I can't verify that.

6. emerica243

emerica243 Well-Known Member

Hey all, im interested in usign pageplus with an android based phone. Just to confirm, smart phones work with pageplus? And the data as well?

7. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

I'm kind of shocked all these Eris' are getting activated on PP? They put the hammer down on "Blackberry and Treo" devices. I've also heard about it being hit or miss with other windows smartphones so I would say try it at your own risk. You would also have to watch your data real close, you only get 20meg on UTnT and 50 meg on the 1200 TnT plans.
    And no I'm not calling anyone a liar, I would just fear its a loophole they might close at any point...

8. gsnider

gsnider Member

9. pearcy

pearcy New Member

Hi,

I got a HTC Eris and was able to program it myself by following instructions on this forum but phone just didn't work. Instructions are great here so would try that first.

I did get excellent help from Remote Squad. A good option if you get stuck. They can login remotely and check/change settings while you watch. I am not affiliated with them in any way.