• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Question about Flashing Kernels...

VTENGR

Apr 30, 2010
Those of you that flash Kernels, do you just flash them and let them be, or do you try to customize them? Are there programs in the APP store that customize the kernels? So far I've flashed Franco's and Trinity kernels, but it seems like you have to buy their apps to be able to utilize the full "experience" of the kernel. I'm not against supporting the devs, but I don't want to spend 3 bucks on an app to tweak a kernel, just to find that I'm not a fan of that particular kernel. Am I missing something here??

Sorry if this is a NOOB question.

Not a noob question, no worries!
Yes you can use Franco's app and I think it's great but not necessary for flashing kernels. They can all be downloaded from the respective sites and flashed in recovery.
For performance tweaking, you can use an app like SetCPU (again paid, but very much worth it). It's very easy to switch between kernels, so it's just a one time purchase for the app.

Reactions: VTENGR
Upvote 0
Personally I mainly use Franco Kernel because it works the best on my phone, that's why i decided to buy it because every phone is different. Through Franco Kernel Updater you can auto-flash his new nighties or milestone stable releases, he also has support for Imoseyon's Kernels if you use that. Changing the max and min CPU levels as well as the scaling governor/governor controls. There are a lot of customization options to help performance on your phone.

Upvote 0
This is what I use and it is free:
Trickster Mod for Galaxy Nexus Adds Number of Kernel Features – xda-developers

Just flash whatever kernel, then flash the zip in recovery. Then, install the apk like any other. I don't usually tweak anything except the screen settings to get the colors the way I like them but this allows for other tweaking if you want to

There is no apk to install. One flashable zip is the mod on the first thread, then the app link leads to a second thread that has another flashable zip. Do I flash both zips?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones