• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Question about flashing roms

TKB5

Mar 13, 2010
I want to flash a rom for the first time but had a couple quick questions.

After it is done will my contacts come back?

What should I do before I flash a ROM? I already backed up my current rom (sense ui) with the ROM manager app. I have already backed up all my apps as well with titanium backup. I am good to go at this point? I want to try to MiUi rom that just came out. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

I want to flash a rom for the first time but had a couple quick questions.

After it is done will my contacts come back?

What should I do before I flash a ROM? I already backed up my current rom (sense ui) with the ROM manager app. I have already backed up all my apps as well with titanium backup. I am good to go at this point? I want to try to MiUi rom that just came out. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would recommend that you backup the entire contents of your internal storage (/emmc) and your sdcard to folders on your PC. (This is a "just in case" measure based on some personal experience.)

If your contacts are in your google account (you need to check) then they will come back as soon as you resign in to your google account in the new rom.

Other than that, go for it.

Upvote 0
they SHOULD be in your google account however backing up to the sdcard in vcf format is a good safety net. ive flashed rom after rom this week on my incredible and they always show up, but going from 2.1 to 2.2 on the x (via leak) they magically disappeared somehow even from myverizon. now i always save to sdcard every few days if i add new contacts.

Upvote 0
Sounds like they are in your Google account. Log into your Gmail from your computer. Go to contacts, if you see them there, they they are safe. Facebook contacts and pictures should re-sync once you set them up in your new ROM. If you don't do a data wipe, allof that info should be OK. Some ROMs require a wipe, just follow the recommendations of the ROM's creator.

Have fun flashing. It can be addictive. Remember if you ever get a ROM flashed and it works just the way you want it, do a ROM back up of it that way if you don't like the new one you flash, your phone can go back exactly the way it was PRIOR to the flash. It really is pretty painless and elemental with the advent of ROM Manager and Titanium Backup.

If you ever get stuck in a boot-loop just do a battery pull, go into your recovery screen and do a restore.

Good Luck!

Reactions: emmur0
Upvote 0
Is it required to also change the radio and kernal? I know a lot of people do that and I just don't know if it is required our not. Can you flash a rom without ever changing the radio or kernal or do some roms require it? For the MiUi can it be flashed without worrying about radios and kernals?

Upvote 0
Is it required to also change the radio and kernal? I know a lot of people do that and I just don't know if it is required our not. Can you flash a rom without ever changing the radio or kernal or do some roms require it? For the MiUi can it be flashed without worrying about radios and kernals?

I never change radio but often try different kernels. The only reason why I change kernels is to help with battery life.

From what I've read on MiUi you have (or it is STRONGLY recommended) to change your radio, kernel and hboot version. See the thread here --> http://androidforums.com/incredible...es-miui-complete-ui-overhaul.html#post1646869

Most ROMs don't require all of that however. I am using Virtuous 3.0.1 with the Hydra Kernel OC 1.13 and radio version 2.15.00.07.28. No problems there.

Be VERY careful flashing radios not to flash a duplicate radio over your current radio, can cause your phone to become a very expensive brick.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones