Question about flashing zips

Last Updated:

1. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've searched this forum, xda and google for an answer to this and haven't found one. Hopefully someone will be able to answer this for me. Do you need to be rooted to flash zip files? Probably a stupid question but I thought since HBOOT is accessable without root that maybe renaming the zip would work? I'm not trying to flash a rom or theme I'm trying to flash a font that I just noticed was still on my SD card when I transfered from my Eris. The font is comfortaa which is awesome and I would love to be able to use it on my Inc Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. WormDoes

30 views and no responses?? Is this question really that dumb? [​IMG] Or does no one know? I literally have no clue about anything HBOOT so before I start screwing around I'd like to try and find a definative answer

3. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

You have to flash fonts in clockwork recovery so, no, you cannot install that without root.

WormDoes likes this.
  4. WormDoes

I figured I'd need to root but didn't hurt to ask. Thanks for responding

5. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

We use Clockwork's custom recovery to flash .zips, which requires root to install, so yes, you have to root. Unrevoked's root tool installs Clockwork at the same time, too.

6. WormDoes

Last I checked unrEVOked wasn't working on phones that installed the latest OTA. I'm still not sure I even want to root, I would only remove bloat, use setCPU and install fonts, so I'm not sure It's worth it, IMO. I'm very happy with sense and I'm not interested in custom ROM's.