Question about gaming.

Last Updated:

1. Gladihater

Gladihater New Member This Topic's Starter

So I have the Evo and do love the phone so far (first Android phone). If anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction, it will be greatly appreciated. Probably gaming is the second most important thing to me, #1 being a solid OS. I had the Palm Pre and it gamed very well. It was heartbreaking when I saw that the EVO was better in just about every aspect (won't talk about better in OS though), it didn't do better at gaming! So I've heard that the Epic will have a better GPU but will it be much better then the EVO? Will I be able to game smoothly with it? This EVO is chop-chop city :(

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

I will say yes, but not 100% confident that it is. The whole Samsung Galaxy S family should have the same cpu and gpu inside, if so, then it should be a better gaming phone vs the Evo. I know there is a Galaxy S gaming video out on youtube so you could check that out.

3. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

Thing has more GPU power than a Wii...lol

4. Gladihater

Gladihater New Member This Topic's Starter

Ouch burn! On the gaming front, it def seems that the Epic will excel in that area. Saw a video of Asphalt and I was blown away compared to the Evo. On top of that, I'm reading in the spec sheets that the Evo only has a 3-axis accelerometer compared to Epic's 6-axis.
    Well that does it. That's enough to make me switch to this phone. Bye Evo. You'll always be my first.

5. SupremeBeaver

SupremeBeaver Well-Known Member

6. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Yea, these Samsungs phones will be real good gaming phones.

Some very nice phones dropping right now. I need to hit the lottery.......

7. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

These phones have really made me become a fan of Samsung...I hope their build quality is as good as their specs.

8. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

The funny thing about the chip in the X and the one in the Samsung phones.....they kinda cancel each other out. The gpu is better in the Samsung phones, but the cpu is better in the X.

Put it like this: seek a phone that has one of these 2 chips in it right now. Steer clear of the current Snapdragon chip.

If u on Sprint, I would get the Samsung phone. let me put it like this:

Droid X has a better gpu than the EVO.

The Samsung phones have a better gpu than the X.

9. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation VIP Member

My understanding is that the Droid X will sport a 1ghz ARM v7 (Cortex) which is less powerful than the Samsung hummingbird processor based on an ARM Cortex A8 core.

Although I could be wrong.

10. gabe2gg

gabe2gg Member

the GPU is too fast lol(not srs)

11. ShiftNo

ShiftNo Well-Known Member

Looks impressive!! Very fast and fluid.

12. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, from what I can find...the Hummingbird chip, the S5PC110, is identical to the one used in the iPhone 4:

Samsung Galaxy S “Hummingbird” chip to have 3x GPU power of Snapdragon – Android and Me

Apple A4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.ubmtechinsights.com/uploadedFiles/Apple%20A4%20vs%20SEC%20S5PC110A01.pdf

Texas Instruments OMAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are all ARM Cortex 8 v7 chips. The .pdf mentioned L2 caches...thats a lil over my head...lol

The only real differences between all 4 are the gpu's.

All these new Samsung phones will have the best gpu out now, followed by the iPhone 4, than last the the X. (PowerVR 540, PowerVR 535, PowerVR 530....seems like they picked the right gpu...lol The Snapdragon uses something else entirely: AMD z430)

I still dont know why the X is posting the higher numbers on Quadrant tho. I read somewhere a T.I. employee mentioning memory:

Inside the Motorola Droid X | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

My guess is that the OMAP's use memory better? Or TouchWiz causing the lower numbers? I dont know.

Dont hold me as an expert, I just read alot...lol This could also explain why some ppl said the Samsungs phones look like an iPhone...lol

13. walord

walord Active Member

Expect the Hummingbird and A4 to perform about the same. They are siblings designed around the same ARM Cortex A8 designs from Samsung/Intrinsity. I would expect the SOC (system on chip) to be different but the core to be identical.

The L2 Cache is a place for the processor to store data for faster application performance.

As far as gaming both the Droid X and the Samsung Galaxy S series look impressive.

jroc likes this.
  14. SebastianX

SebastianX Well-Known Member

The GPU in the Droid X is exactly the same as it was in the old Droid.

Smartphone Comparison Chart Compares Extensive Smartphone Specs

15. SupremeBeaver

SupremeBeaver Well-Known Member

yeah but for some reason the Droid X smokes the Droid in benchmarks.

Motorola probably made some optimizations.

16. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

^The cpu changed too. This is the first OMAP in an Android phone running at 1Ghz and its a 45nm chip. Both of those should have helped it post good benchmark numbers.

Whatever Mototola, T.I did is nice, especially for them to still be using the same gpu in the Droid. Guess that says how good the gpu in the Droid is also. Even when over clocking a Droid to 1Ghz it posts better benchmark numbers compared to the other chips at 1Ghz stock.

Imagine the X if it had the PowerVR 540....lol I cant wait to see if Motorola uses the OMAP 4440 in their dual core phone. That or a Tegra 2. I dont really know much info about Tegra 2, but ppl are raving about it, I might as well rave too....lol

17. SebastianX

SebastianX Well-Known Member

Probably not grab a GTX 480 and install it in a rig with a celeron or dual core cpu then take the same gpu and install it on an Intel i7 the same GPU runs much better right?

The GPU in the old Droid was ahead of it's time it was extremely good, in fact it's still up to todays standards that's probably why Moto left it in there but the Epic's GPU smokes everything avaiable right now at 90 million triangles/sec

18. walord

walord Active Member

Depends on the game, the motherboard, memory, OS, etc. It could very well perform exactly the same. Likewise, it's not proof that it's soley the new processor on the Droid X that is responsible for GPU improvements. All you can prove is that there was something in the system that limited the performance of the GPU without being able to test the effect of each change made. There are a lot of little impercievable things a manufacterer can do to increase performance only one of which is slapping in a faster CPU.

EDIT*

Just read up on it. It was the memory bandwidth that was the limiting factor for the Droid's relatively poor GPU performance. It was running LPDDR1 memory allowing the GPU to operate at only a fraction of it's potential. This limitation is removed by upgrading the memory to LPDDR2...