1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Question about going on cruise and Airplane mode

1. Vanquish3r

Vanquish3r Member

Leaving for a cruise on Saturday and wanted to ask some questions...

Gf and I both have android phones (LG Viper 4G LTE and Samsung Galaxy S3) we want to take on board for use of the camera/video capture.

We won't need to make/receive calls, send/receive texts, or use the internet for anything. I was planning on just switching our phones into airplane mode as soon as we get to the port but I was wondering if that shuts off ALL connections?

I know there's some other settings for turning off mobile data but that's unnecessary in airplane mode right? Also, I have no idea what all apps have permissions to use location/data without me really knowing.

Just want to make sure we can use our phones as cameras without being charged a dime by Sprint.

Thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Yes, airplane mode will turn everything off.

On many phones you can still turn WiFi on when in airplane mode if you want to, but cellular stuff is off.
    breadnatty08 and Vanquish3r like this.
  3. bob60626

bob60626 Well-Known Member

I did the same with my OV in Germany. It worked just fine as a watch/calendar/camera/wifi thing. On my phone I couldn't adjust the time but yours may be different (had no problem with my wifi only SGP and the sim-less Captivate I bought from a friend).
  4. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

Airplane mode will turn off all antennae on your phone. No WiFi, BT, cellular voice or data. I use it when I go to work. I just put my personal phone on airplane mode, so I don't get distracted by personal calls and messages and then turn it back on when I leave work.
  5. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

Like everyone else here, I use airplane mode when I'm travelling to avoid roaming charges. If there's WiFi available, I enable that when I want to use it.

Also makes your battery last for ages!

I would have thought you probably wouldn't have a signal most of the time you're on the boat, anyway.
  6. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd turn off GPS while you're at it. That will extend your battery life a little, too.
  7. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

Very true - though personally, I always have GPS switched off when I'm not using it. Ditto WiFi and Bluetooth.
  8. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

You will be quite amazed on how long the battery last when data is turned off.
  9. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Actually it doesn't make any difference unless you run an app that uses it.

When I first got my phone I was paranoid about battery - constantly watching current drain, seeing how far I could stretch it by turning stuff off or down, and GPS stayed off unless I was going to run Maps. Then I saw people who I knew knew their stuff left it on, so I tried. And yup, it made no difference at all.

Of course if you are running apps which would use GPS if available that's a different matter. But otherwise there's no need to turn it off.
  10. Vanquish3r

Vanquish3r Member

Thanks all, I'll be switching GPS off for sure. I don't need it and I'll be paranoid that there are apps trying to use it.

Honestly I'm excited to spend 5 days without access to phone calls, texts, emails, twitter, etc. I think it will be a good experience.

Of course there will be the sports bar with TV. And my laptop with movies and TV shows. And my Zune.

:D