question about google account activation with nexus one or other android phones.Support

Last Updated:

1. pctek

pctek Member This Topic's Starter

With a nexus one or even another android phone like motorola milestone, in order to start using it once I insert my tmobile sim, do you have to have a data plan to activate the phone and start using it? If you do have to activate it by signing in to google account can you use a wifi connecction?
    I say this because I once bought a white google G1 phone at a thrift store and after doing a hard reset of the phone, it wouldnt get past the setup wizard part where you ahve to sign in to a google account but it wanted to go through the data connection rather lettign you choose a wifi instead.

Advertisement
  2. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

I believe you are able to skip the activation by tapping each corner of the screen.

At that point you could setup your wifi and add your Google account via the settings.

3. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-) VIP Member

I don't know about the subsidized T-Mobile N1, which requires T-Mobile activation, but you can definitely log into your phone with wifi-- you don't even have to have the SIM in the phone. That was something they changes after the early G1s. I tested this out on my phone for someone who asked me about it.

4. pctek

pctek Member This Topic's Starter

What do you mean by this? "I don't know about the subsidized T-Mobile N1, which requires T-Mobile activation"

Isnt all nexus one t-mobile branding phones? Or do they have nexus ones that dont have the tmobile name on them?

How about a motorola milestone phone does it work the same as a nexus one?

5. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-) VIP Member

Actually, I believe none of the Nexus Ones are branded. The difference between the T-Mobile version and the AT&T versions is simply that they have different radios (different 3G frequencies). They are Google Phones, they don't have carrier ROMS.

That said, Google sells the T-Mobile version both with and without subsidy. If you buy the subsidized one for $179, you are requred to actiivate a 2 year contract with T-Mobile. If you pay the unlocked price for the T-Mobile version, you aren't required to. The AT&T version is only without contract. See the Nexus One web site.

I have no experience with the Milestone, but I believe it will also allow you to login with wifi.