Question about Google VoiceGeneral

Last Updated:

1. BigDaddyFromCincinnati

BigDaddyFromCincinnati Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just received my Google Voice # today and went through and set up all the settings I needed. I have 2 questions so far. Is there any way to set it up so that it does not send me a text and email when someone texts my Google number? I found if I do not forward my Google # to my cell # I only get text sent to my email which is what I want. But not forwarding my Google # to my cell # kinda defeats the purpose of Google's perks. Second question is, when I did take the forwarding off and my co-worker text my Google #, it took like 10 min before I received the email notification. I was actually watching it on my PC and my inbox received it in like 20 seconds. I thought Gmail was pushed? Do text take longer for some reason? Emails usually are push within seconds.

Just wondered. New to this Google Voice thing and just checking it out.

Advertisement
  2. wiattc

wiattc Well-Known Member

On the voice website just tweek your setting for your G#. Should give you options for text alerts.

3. Kevkelsar

Kevkelsar Well-Known Member

In the Google Voice settings within your Google Account, go to Settings > Phones, and click on "Edit" for your cell number. Un-check the box next to " Receive SMS on this phone".

That will stop texts being forwarded to your phone as SMS. Instead, when a text comes in, you will receive a notification through your gmail and you will not be charged for the text (since it never goes to your phone, only to your Google Voice account). If you have the Google Voice app as the default for sending messages on your phone, when you text people it will be sent from your phone as data through your Google Voice account, not SMS. So, you won't be charged for out going texts.