Question about headsets and music file formats

Last Updated:

1. Thuneau

Thuneau Member This Topic's Starter

Let me start by saying that I absolutely love the Captivate- it's my first Android phone- been using Symbian phones for 6 years and have had an ipod touch for all the apps.
    I'm used to good headphones- having owned upper level Sonys and Ultimate Ears. The set that comes with Captivate is fairly mid grade- not awful, but not great either. I've been looking at aftermarket headsets with microphone and there are very few models advertised as compatible with Android phones, but tons of choices for iPhone.
    I see that many posters here own(ed) iPhones.
    Do the iPhone headset with microphone work with Captivate as expected? Are there possibly mic sensitivity issues, or some other things I should look out for?
    Looking to get a set in the $70-$120 range so that I can enjoy my mostly lossless music library.

Also, I tried copying flac files to the Captivate through Kies and it refused saying incompatible file type. But, I saw somewhere in the published specs that flac is supported. Is it true or do I need some special player plugin or app?

Advertisement
  2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

i dont know about kies but from what ive heard about the apple headsets is that they arent all that good, and worse than the ones that come with the captivate. but i dont own them so i dont personally know

3. Thuneau

I know the Apple headsets that come with iPhone are not very good. I own a couple of sets that came with various iPods.
    I'm asking about aftermarket headsets with microphone that are advertised as iPhone compatible. Will those work with the Captivate OK?

4. chicknlil

chicknlil Well-Known Member

The headphone port is a standard one - I can't imagine any headset wouldn't work with it, but maybe I'm completely missing some boat here?

5. blackhemi

blackhemi Well-Known Member

using the iphone mic/earbuds, for media, all it does for me is pause. Ive used the mic for calls, and it did surprisingly well. I dont recall if i answered it via the phone or the mic button. I was mowing the lawn listening to music, and I did not have to stop mowing, the caller said they did not hear the mower.

the sound quality from apples earbuds was poor in my opinion. mostly because of the about of outside sound it lets in.

6. Thuneau

A stereo headset will be fine regardless. Asking about compatibility of the microphone part and push to pause/answer a call button on the headset.

7. Thuneau

Thanks for that. Could you check for me if you can answer a phone call using the button on Apple headset? I would really appreciate that.