Question about how software and OS upgrades work

Last Updated:

1. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't have my Droid yet but I have two questions:

1) When VZW releases the software update (I'm hearing 1/22?), how will that work? Will it be OTA? Will you need to back up your phone before you update? Will you lose any info/data? (I'm planning on picking up my Droid this week, so what I'm getting at is this: Would it make my life easier if I just wait until 1/22 and buy it with the update already installed?)

2) Now that we can expect Android 2.1 in the coming months, how does a full OS upgrade on the Droid work? OTA? Will you need to back up your phone before you update? Will you lose any info/data?

(FWIW, I'm coming from Blackberry-land and when you upgrade your OS on a BB, you need to backup everything on your phone because when you install the new OS, you essentially start from scratch. I've never actually done it firsthand because it seems like a royal pain in the rearend.)

Thanks guys!

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Everything OTA ... no backup necessary. But in my world, of you're not backing up YOUR data, if you lose it, it's YOUR problem. ;)

Lots of posts/threads in here in backing up. A great time to try out the search engines. :)

3. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC Well-Known Member

Even if you waited until after the 22nd (assuming that 2.1 is actually released at that time), your new droid wouldn't come with it preinstalled - you would get it OTA like everyone else...

4. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Great! Thanks, guys. I'm HUGE on backing up so I'll do some searchin...

5. teschoen

teschoen Well-Known Member

the 2.0 to 2.0.1 release was painless. Took a little time and didn't require anything major.

Updates of apps also are painless. I do enjoy how easy it is.