Question about moving a Hero to another carrier...Support

Last Updated:

1. mxpxrobbie

mxpxrobbie New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey folks, I'm an Android noob, and I'm wondering if something is possible...

A friend of mine has a Hero on Cellular South, a CDMA network in Mississippi. I'm on Verizon, and I'm wondering if there is a way to flash a new rom to make this phone work on my network. I'd like to think this is possible, due to the network types being the same, but I don't know.

I'm really interested in leaving my WinMo phone far behind, but would like to not have to renew my contract just yet.

Any help?

Advertisement
  2. alex51

alex51 Well-Known Member

All said and done it's up to the carrier.The Hero can be unlocked and the radio end can work however since each carrier has specific features embedded in their branded ph's from the manufacturer this becomes a complicated issue to the point it doesn't usually make it a worthwhile pursuit.

3. mxpxrobbie

mxpxrobbie New Member This Topic's Starter

Since the Hero is basically the same phone as the Droid Eris, shouldn't I be able to just flash an Eris rom to it, and go from there? I plan on either going to T-Mobile and grabbing the Galaxy in a few months, or sucking it up and staying with Verizon. I just really wanted a project to mess with, and maybe help my nephew test some apps he is building.

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Thread moved to the Sprint Hero section as you're talking about CDMA heroes.

5. alex51

alex51 Well-Known Member

I think you'll find what is possible and what your carrier permits are not the same.By that I mean the carriers simply don't like to take on ph's that don't carry their name,at least thats the simple answer.Now some of the pay as you go and some of the new or smaller carriers are more likely to do this the major drawback there is other than the basic ph.functions and texts and if you're real lucky the internet but not much else is offered.
    I know many have gotten some false hope from the recent FCC rulings have made several things legal but in reality fell far short of forcing carriers to actually accept the changes.The only real success story was for I phone users whereas they can now possible to jailbreak the I phone and can now obtain any app or program rather than just those from the Apple controlled market,actually that(Apple/I phone ruling)may have been from a class action lawsuit I don't recall.
    The major drawback is the carriers have the final say as to what they allow on there network.