Question about multimedia dock station

Last Updated:

1. twstnc5

twstnc5 Member This Topic's Starter

big smart phone noobie here...

i got the multimedia docking station for the droid (love it by the way!). its connects to my computer just fine. However, after a moment, the droid seems to power off (black screen). id like to keep the cool clock/weather display up all the time while its docked.

anyone know what i need to do to keep the darn phone from powering off while its docked?

thanks

Advertisement
  2. iPhoneMilk

iPhoneMilk Well-Known Member

There's a button you need to press on the screen which DIMS the view a little but and switches into a more of a clock mode, this will keep it looking like that forever.

I think it looks like a lightbulb maybe

3. twstnc5

thanks for the reply but i tried pressing this lightbulb... it does dim screen but screen does go black after a minute :( .. am i missing something?

4. iPhoneMilk

iPhoneMilk Well-Known Member

Don't think so.

Though i am still an android newbie and a 100% android 2.0 newbie especially to this moto docking feature... but when i watched the videos online they said to press that button and it switches it to a Clock mode.

I will try to look more online for you

5. twstnc5

well.. so far the only thing i can figure out is you need to set your display settings to never turn off your phone. this kind of sucks because it doesnt appear that you can have docked display settings that are different than undocked settings.

this means that every time i dock ill have to set the display settings to never turn off and when i undock ill have to set the display settings back to a 1 minute timeout.... a little aggravating imo.

if anybody finds out there is a better way to do this, please post!!

6. sfeldkamp

sfeldkamp New Member

I'm experiencing the same thing. The only thing I can think to do is install Locale or whatever the location specific settings are and then set it to never turn off where your docking station is. THats a pretty hacky work around.

Plus my phone isn't waking back up after removing from the dock. I have to open the keyboard and then I get the unlock screen.

7. twstnc5

i figured that one out at least :)... hit the hadware power button on the topside of the phone.

hope this doesnt behave the same way with the car dock. that will get verrrryyyy annoying having to change display settings every time i'm about to drive with it on.

8. panphobia

panphobia New Member

I sure hope there is a fix for this. It's pretty unreasonable to expect us to change the display settings every time we dock the phone.

The docked display is very nice by the way. The time display is elegant and the functions and weather display are placed very nicely (which is why I would like it to stay on all the time without having to change the display settings).

9. jlatour88

jlatour88 Active Member

i believe i found the solution to that. i was checking out my new droid and i remember finding a setting that would fix that problem. something along the lines of keeping the display on while connected to power. give me a sec and il look it up and see if i can find it again..............

10. jlatour88

jlatour88 Active Member

BINGO!!!!!!!! i knew i seen it. lol anyway go to ur settings then applications, then development, then select Stay Awake. AND BINGO BANGO YOUR ALL SET. hope this helps. if anyone else has any other questions that u cant figure out id be glad to help. just msg me on this or msg me on my msgers. (msgers i have are to the left below my name)

11. twstnc5

thank you thank you thanks you!

gee.. dont know why i didnt look in that menu option! (app->development... really??!)

12. sfeldkamp

sfeldkamp New Member

Thanks for the tip! That's just what I was looking for. I was a bit worried that the battery wouldn't charge any faster than it discharged from leaving the screen on, but it looks like it is catching up.

13. panphobia

panphobia New Member

Good catch jla!
    What an odd place to put that option!

14. ginigma

ginigma Well-Known Member

The only accessory I really wanted is the home dock, but all the VZW stores in my area are out of them already! It looks like they all got less than 10, but the warehouse has thousands! Dammit. :confused:

15. aznxjz

aznxjz New Member

If you have two magnets, you can get the Multimedia "mode" to activate

16. Robobandit

Robobandit Well-Known Member

I think it is in the "Development" section because that is a big reason folks would hook it up to a PC other than for a quick transfer. It doesn't turn off when it is in dock mode connected to a power outlet, only the computer.

17. demon117

demon117 New Member

Dude, just order it from the website ;)

SO... this contraption (the dock) is really worth it? I was a bit disappointed when I found out it was an additional purchase, but it definitely seems like a good thing to have around.

18. JediJesus

JediJesus Well-Known Member

All you really need is one good size magnet. If I hold my droid against my holster magnet it turns Multimedia mode on. Well that works for me. And I'm assuming my holster only has one magnet.

19. ThisIsMyAlias

ThisIsMyAlias Member

When I read this thread I had the opposite question; how do I get the screen to turn off when it's docked. I noticed that it would turn off if the dock wasn't plugged into the wall and it would always stay on if the dock was plugged in (but why would I dock it and not have the dock plugged in?).

It would be nice to have the screen on all night long, because then it really would be like an alarm clock, however, I'm worried that having the screen on for so long would burn it out quicker or cause burn in. Any thoughts?

20. Nidisa

Nidisa Well-Known Member

When I dock the phone into the multimedia dock, the screen *does* stay on all night long.....