Question about my partition and filesystem

Last Updated:

1. endless2k

endless2k Member This Topic's Starter

Im totally new to the smartphone/android topic and very happy that i managed to partition/debrand/root my Desire and flashed LeDroids Rom on it! ^^ ( im a windows XP user ;) )

But i have some questions about my partition and filesystem:
    I have a 4 GB SDCARD and a 512MB Partition on it for the apps. So i figured out there is a mnt folder that seems to be like an exact copy of my SDCARD folder. How do i know what my partition is ? And how do i know how much space is left there for Apps ?

When i plug in my Phone via micro usb and browse my SD card i dont see a MNT folder. Does that mean the MNT folder is the mainpartition (3,5bg?) ?
    Because when i download a youtube video via jetVD (i was prompted to use a download folder on my SDCARD) it saves the videos under: mnt\sdcard\movies (also my player shows the path to that directory)

.. but the movie files are also available under: sdcard\movies

Could somebody explain that ?

btw: i use the app SUFBS to browse the SDCARD on my Desire.

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

mnt is on your phone, it means "mount" so basically look at everything after mnt\sdcard\ is what you can view on your PC.

Download quick system info. It will tell you how much space is remaining on your partition.

3. endless2k

Downloaded System Info, thx, its a good tool.

But i still dont get the filesystem in general. All the stuff thats in \mnt\sdcard
    is also in \sdcard

how can i browse my A2SD folder (the 512mb partition i made) ?

is there a good tutorial about that whole file system ?

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Its the same location, \sdcard is a shortcut or a link to \mnt\sdcard which is what your System uses as the location of the SD card. Theres nothing you need to worry about here. This is normal.

I use android mate. I browse to \data\app. This is usually the internal phone memory, but on apps2sd+, it diverts to \system\sd\app (your partition.)

5. DragosP

DragosP Active Member

Usually you can't.
    But, if you install SDK Android, after an "adb shell" in a console window, you can navigate trough the filesystem (ls, cd etc).
    Your phone is running linux, so basically it respects the linux conventions. The main difference is related to the folder "system" and "data": in the folder "system/app" is critical applications, in "/data/app" (symlinked to ext partition on sdcard if you use a2sd) and so on.

6. endless2k

thanx guys.