Question about Nandroid backup

Last Updated:

1. revlis240

revlis240 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys,
    Ok I just rooted using Fresh Kitchen 1.05 and it appears that i have i have the 1.6.2 RA (thats what it says on the bottom when i go to the RA screen).

Now about this nandroid backup, i see that there is an option to backup/restore in the RA screen. IS THIS THE NANDROID backup? or is nandroid some other program i need to install as shown by this guide:

[Complete Guide] How To Fully Back Up And Restore Your Android Phone Using Nandroid Backup | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Hacks, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police

If i understand correctly. all i gotta do is get the damageless 2.08 rom, boot into the RA, backup, put the rom onto the sd card by toggling the usb mode in the RA and mounting the sd card, and then loading the rom from the SD card.

Also, nandroid doesnt really back up my call logs/sms for restoring when the 2.1 is loaded, its only for restoring the IMAGE incase the loading fails right? So i need to backup my call logs/sms with other apps before i start this whole process?

Does that sound right?

Thanks

Abe

Advertisement
  2. revlis240

well i was too excited to wait so i followed some steps, did the backup from the RA 1.6.2 and wiped the data and dalvik thing and installed the damageless rom...

what is nandroid + ext anyway?

3. DFRESH

DFRESH Well-Known Member

when you do a nandroid backup..it backs up everything ...from numbers...txt messages...emails...etc.. In order to see them, you'd have to restore that backup...

4. Archon810

Archon810 Well-Known Member

Nandroid is the app that you used to make a full backup, and it also handles restores. It oftentimes is incorporated into an app so much, you don't even know you're using it, like with the ROM Manager.

5. revlis240

well there were 2 options, Nandroid backup and Nandroid + ext backup. whats the difference?

6. DFRESH

DFRESH Well-Known Member

and you do Nandroid backup......

7. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

Nandroid backup simply backs up your phone.

Nandroid + ext backup not only backs up your phone, it also backs up your EXT partition if you have it enabled (if using it for something like apps2sd).