Question about online tethering

Last Updated:

1. xtshadowxt

xtshadowxt Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone on android forums

I have a question about online tethering on my Evo.

I just rooted my phone two days ago and the first thing i downloaded was the wifi tethering app. After some trial and error attempts to get it working, it finally did.

Now my question is, is there a limit on how much i can use this tethering app?

I have the everything data plan, and am obviously paying that 10$ fee for having 4g.

thanks in advance , have a good day ;)

Advertisement
  2. xtshadowxt

anyone?

3. JMD

JMD Well-Known Member

Technically using the wifi teather app is against the sprint contract so any usage is "over the limit". I have not heard of anyone getting in trouble for it though so you should be ok as long as you don't go crazy with it.

xtshadowxt likes this.
  4. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

there's no limit. The $10/mo you pay extra actually does remove the 5GB cap that exists for the standard unlimited data plans.

There's no way for Sprint to identify if your data usage is going toward tethering. When you're tethering, your phone becomes the gateway, and the packets flow between the phone and the tethered device. Sprint doesn't know what's happening behind your phone.

All Sprint will see is that you have a high data usage, but they can't complain because you paid your $10/mo for true unlimited data.

xtshadowxt likes this.
  5. xtshadowxt

Thanks novox and every one else who responded , I will now be canceling my comcast internet and will be tethering the sky away

6. laredo7mm

laredo7mm Well-Known Member

I don't think this is accurate information. There is and never has been a 5GB cap on your unlimited phone data. The 5GB cap is for phone as modem plans, air cards, etc.

Sprint's terms of service says:

7. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

I have friends both on Verizon and Sprint who received letters warning them of high data usage from their phones. There was nothing about punishment or fines. Just a warning. Each time, they went over 5GB. Both Sprint and Verizon do not specifically advertise the cap anymore, ever since consumer backlash spanked Comcast for throttling bittorrent data usage.

But if you look back at historical terms and conditions for Sprint and Verizon, they used to specifically state the 5GB limit for their "unlimited" plans in the T&C. Verizon has recently said publicly that they have truly eliminated unspoken caps. Sprint has yet to do this.

Anecdotally, there have been people who have verified with Sprint directly that the $10/mo premium data fee does eliminate the cap. So Evo and Epic owners really do have unlimited data.

From a practical standpoint, very few people reach 5GB/mo of usage. But for people who actually do legitimately use this much data (and those people are out there), this issue of an unwritten data cap has always been a big issue.

Good news is: Sprint has said they never plan to cap WiMax (4G). The other networks relying on LTE have said they WILL. This is because WiMax, operating at 2.4 ghz has way more bandwidth than the 700mhz LTE. Sprint has also said that if they eventually support LTE in parallel with WiMax, they will cap it.

8. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

If I don't figure out what ROM I like best, I will burn 5 gigs on my phone, not tethering.