• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help question about OTA updates and data usage

solaris9123

Jan 29, 2015
Hey guys,
I have the moto G 1st gen for Verizon and I have a question about downloading the OTA update for Android 5.0?

I am on the Verizon prepaid network and I have a tiered data plan, will verizon charge against my data to download the OTA upgrade?
I'm aware that some point within the next month, the 5.0 update for the moto g first generation should be pushed out by motorola. But my question is, what would happen if I don't have accessible data?
will I still receive the update? I have the $45 unlimited smartphone package from Verizon prepaid, and I only have 500 megabytes per month to use what happens if my 500 megabytes run out at the same time that the update is being pushed? Can I download the update over wifi?

Motorola Moto G
XT1028 (falcon, Verizon)
Android 4.4.4 KitKat

If you don't have an internet connection then of course you can't get the update.

If you download the update over Verizon it counts against your data allotment.

If you run out of data before the download finishes, no harm done and I think it will complete the download when you have internet access again. I don't think it starts over, but don't hold me to that.

You can get the update via WiFi, of course.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones