Question about "Over Clocking"...

Last Updated:

1. image911

image911 New Member This Topic's Starter

I've got a question concerning "Over Clocking"... once rooted, (which I assume is the only method to gain access to adjusting the phone's settings to tweak it's speed), and after making said adjustments or speed selection... will doing so drain my battery any faster? What changes (both good and bad) will be noticeable...?

Advertisement
  2. ne0lyfeism

ne0lyfeism Well-Known Member

The short answer, yes. Depending on the clock speed, the battery will take a hit, but it will depend on the kernel you use (more lingo, I know, haha!). The kernel is what you install (once rooted of course) to overclock the Droid's processor. You'll need the SetCPU app (paid app from the market) to actually pick the speed you want.

There are three different types of kernels - LV, SV, IV which stand for Low, Standard and Increased Voltage. You'll likely need to mess around with these different flavors as each one can impact battery and processor life (mainly, increased heat that is generated).

Honestly, the most noticeable differences are speed (the phone will fly!) and heat (it will feel warm to the touch depending on how much you're working the phone).

Me, I'm running Bekit's 1.2Ghz LV kernel at 1Ghz.. does it get warm? Yes, under heavy load. Is it worth it? Abso-freaking-lutely!

If you still have questions, just do a quick search and I'm sure you'll find a whole mess of threads that deal with overclocking.