Question about Phantom SkinzAccessories

Last Updated:

1. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I finally ordered a Phantom and put it on last night. It was pretty simple, took about 20 minutes because I had to pull it up and redo it because of 2 bubbles I couldn't get out. Next attempt went flawlessly.

It's been sitting now for 12 hours and I still see moisture under the skin. I have read some posts and it appears that it may take up to 2 days to completely dry. Which sucks because I didn't have this problem with Zagg (my fiance just put Zagg on his Dinc and it was done and perfect after 4 hours or so).

But before I pull this thing off I want to make sure that this really will go away in another 36 hours. Its very noticiable and bugging the crap out of me, but I will be patient if you guys think it's worth it. I do like it better than the Zagg, there is almost no friction.

FYI... Don't know if it matters but I didn't add any soap to the water cause I didn't think I would have any problems with placement (which I didn't).

If this doesn't work I am going to order a Steinheil CC and see how that does. If that doesn't work either I will just go back to Zagg. It does look great on my fiance's phone and I used it for 2 years on my Dare so I know it works. I was just hoping for a less tacky alternative for this phone.

Advertisement
  2. Asterdroid

Asterdroid Well-Known Member

The moisture on mine took about a day and a half to go away.

I prefer the phantomskinz over Zagg, myself. I tried both, and the phantomskin seems to have a lot less orange peel. The Steinheils are overrated, in my opinion. They look the best, but they aren't as durable. Mine picked up tiny scratches after just a few days. (yeah I tried a lot of different protectors),

Terabethia likes this.
  3. Terabethia

Thanks ;) Guess I will be patient and see if it's cleared up by tomorrow.

While I see a lot of hype over the Steinheils here, I have also read a lot of "not impressed" comments, expecially regarding how easily it scratches. That's why I went with Phantom first. Well that, and it's cheaper :)

4. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

as said these skins can take a while to set... i would avoid sticking it into a pocket because have one fall off by doing that and to do it all again

5. kjarrett

kjarrett Well-Known Member

Very happy Phantomskinz user here. Yes, give it time, the moisture will definitely clear up!

6. sirchadwick1

sirchadwick1 Well-Known Member

Just to post my experience w/ the Steinheil CC... FYI.

I've owned numerous Zagg skins and they're decent. They do their job, but feel rubbery and can be irritating to look at w/ the orange peel effect. They also tend to peel up around the edges over time and get dust under the skin.

Anyway, I decided after reading all the rave reviews on the Steinheils that I'd pick up a couple. Very easy to apply if you do it correctly... and it looks great on the DInc! However, I have noticed that after a few days of use that some hairline scratches are showing up. It's not a huge issue, but it's enough to irritate me b/c I baby my phone and keep it in my pocket w/ no keys, nothing else! It seems a new hairline scratch pops up once every few days or so and I have no clue what's causing it. I let SGP customer service know about it and they asked for me to send pics of it on my phone... well there's a problem there - I cannot for the life of me get my camera to pick up these tiny hairline scratches. Kind of leaves me high and dry.

I'm considering trying a new skin such as Phantom or Ghost. Let me know how it works out for you!

7. Asterdroid

Asterdroid Well-Known Member

Same happened to me. I stuffed mine in my leather case after 4 hours of drying, and the screen peeled right off. It kind of bunched up into a wad of unusable rubber.

At this point I've had the same PhantomSkinz on my phone for 2 months and not a scratch.

8. yojoe600

i have a sinokimi or what ever on mine and i got it since its like zagg but clearer... it also hies my scratch i got when i first got the phone

9. jeezuz

jeezuz Active Member

I've had phantomskinzs for about 2 months. Took me 2 days for most of the moisture to be gone, but i could still see some if i turned of the screen and reflected the light against something . After about a week it was totally gone and i have a smooth, black screen. I used soap on mine. Haven't tried the other skins but have no need since i feel these are perfect.

10. Terabethia

Humm... well right now it is just sitting here all naked. I put the protector on 13-14 hours ago and it seems dry to the touch. Just that visable moisture under the protector...

I use a FlexiSkin and then keep the phone in a neoprene sleeve (the N1 one) usually. I don't have them on now but I will need to put them on before I go out this evening.

Will it be okay?

11. Hipshot

Hipshot Well-Known Member

Ditto

+1

12. DroidINC10

DroidINC10 Member

I have had a phantom on mine for a couple months and love it! No scratches, but did somehow get a dent in it the first week. But give it a couple days and should be looking great! Can't even tell it is there sometimes.

I just put a case on it this week, a hybrid TPE/plastic, and it was starting to peel the edges of the screen guard up. So watch that if you put a case on.

13. imtoomuch

imtoomuch Well-Known Member

I'll have to check these out.

14. ilinimud

ilinimud Well-Known Member

I have the Steinheil CC, and im not impressed. It is scratched up pretty bad after only 2 months of use. I keep my phone in my pocket, with nothing else in it and have only dropped it on carpet. I bought 2 of them, but at this rate they will both be used up quick.

15. Terabethia

I think I will just keep it in the sleeve for tonight and save the FlexiSkin for tomorrow. If it does push up the corners I can always trim the protector back... I had to do that with my Zagg, too.

16. yojoe600

what ever you do just be careful thats all

17. sirchadwick1

sirchadwick1 Well-Known Member

I noticed this on my wifes phone w/ a Steinheil CC guard and a cheap TPU silicone case from eBay. It peels up the protector on the sides from time to time. But with my OEM Verizon silicone case I have no issues w/ peeling on my Steinheil.... just the scratches that show up on the protector itself.

18. Terabethia

So it's now been over 36 hours and the moisture problem is still there! :( And it's not like it's getting better so I know that in another day or two it will be all dryed up, it's the exact same amount of moisture that was there right after I installed it. It hasn't improved even a little bit in 36 hours...

I am going to give it through the weekend to clear up but if it doesn't I am going to order something else on Monday. Probaby try out the Steinheil and if I don't like that I'll just go back to Zagg. At least I know it works and looks good.

19. dspcap

dspcap Well-Known Member

After I install the phantomskinz, I use a blow dryer for about 2-3 minutes on cool (NOT hot) and move it around for about 5 minutes. Then the fog is cleared after a few days.

Do you think it's fingerprints that are on the screen, not moisture?

20. Terabethia

It is definitely moisture. I barely touched the protector while applying, only gently grabbed 2 corners. When I am on a white background, I can see all the different rainbow colors of it. It's moisture :(

Like I said, if there was even a little improvement I would be okay. But there is no improvement at all and it's now been almost 48 hours.

The only other thing I could think is that maybe it's just defective. I still have the second one, so maybe I'll just redo it Sunday night it and see if that helps.

21. mattsthe2

mattsthe2 New Member

What ended up happening with this?

I'm in the same boat. Except it looks like fine dust or something under mine, but i think its mosture. Only in one section im about 12hrs in.

22. Terabethia

I gave up on it. The first one didn't dry up after 3 days so I put the second on one, hoping I just had a bad one or something. It was the exact same so I ripped it off after about a day and a half.

I ended up ordering the Boxwave and I LOVE it! Simple installation and it feels great. Since it's not a wet application, no moisture problems.

I ordered the 3 pack and put one on my fiance's phone when he wasn't looking. Over a week later he called me randomly and said "did you put something on my phone?" I started LMAO that he was just now noticing. He wouldn't have noticed at all if he hadn't taken off his case and when he put it back on it pushed up the protector a little on the corner.