Question about returning a Droid....

Last Updated:

1. bmkindoll

bmkindoll Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone. I have a question for you all about returning a Droid 1. I upgraded to my Droid 1 in March of 2010. I had the phone for approximately 3-4 months and I dropped the phone in some water. So I needed a phone ASAP. So I looked around and bought another Droid 1 off of an individual for a REALLY good price. So I activated it and used it.

Well my phone that "may or may not :)" have gotten wet does not show water damage on the body of the phone, and I have a spare battery that doesn't show water damage. Also the "wet" phone functions absolutely fine, other than the backlight for the screen does not light up. I mean you can shine a flashlight on the screen and see that it is functioning just fine. The speaker works, It will make calls, even the headphone jack works. Just the backlight doesnt work.

So my question is, What are the chances of them taking the phone back when nothing on the phone shows water damage?

Also does it matter that the phone I am trying to turn in for warranty is not the one activated on my line right now?

Thanks

Brandon

Advertisement
  2. MrDeeJ

MrDeeJ Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they have your phones serial number listed with the warranty and will want to confirm that the phone you are turning in for warranty has a matching serial number. It is similar to retail stores when you buy a game console. On your receipt is the Serial number and you won't be able to return or exchange it unless the numbers match exactly.

3. bmkindoll

That's what I am saying. The phone I am looking to turn in was originally purchased by ME on an upgrade. I was just curious if it mattered that the phone I am turning in for warranty is NOT ACTIVATED on my account.

Brandon

4. 20007.3stroker

20007.3stroker Member

it would be like receiving a loaner phone from a store, but instead you tell them your borrowing a phone from a friend. id say try taking it back whats the worst they can say.

5. BabyRN

BabyRN Well-Known Member

I think you should be able to return it. They will more and likely order you a refurb since it isn't in the 30 window after purchase.

6. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

you could sure try to do a warranty replacement, and they probably WILL give you another refurbed phone. But from what i understand, if you were to hand your phone in and receive another under warranty, and the tec in the warranty department looks over your phone and determines water damage is what caused it, i think you could be responsible for paying the replacement cost. Your battery can be just fine, but they have multiple water indicators on a cellphone so just because your battery isn't "tripped" doesn't mean your in the clear

7. bmkindoll

From my understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, but there are two moisture sensors on the Droid. The first being on the battery, and the second being on the phone itself right under the battery cover. If those are the only two then I am good.

Brandon

8. BabyRN

BabyRN Well-Known Member

Those are the only two I am aware of. If they aren't triggered, I too say your good!

9. marvinrock

marvinrock Well-Known Member

How do you know if they are triggered?

10. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

Take out your battery and look on it for a little white sticker with red X's. Look for the same on the phone though on the phone its in a little hole. If either of them look as if the X's bled and turn it red then they will know. Trust me its the first thing they look for when they inspect your phone.

11. skiahh

skiahh Well-Known Member

I thought I read somewhere that there's an internal water sensor/tattletale.

Either way... what you're trying to do boils down to stealing.