Question about ROMS and Kernels

Last Updated:

1. droid37

droid37 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys been lurking for a while and rooted my droid with droid-lifes tutorial. I used there stock 2.1 rom and no kernels or anything because I'm not sure what to do now. Correct if I'm wrong but I would like to use kangerades new rom and then would I just dl and install a kernel ie: p3droids 1.1? Or do I need other things or not need the kernel? Thanks

Advertisement
  2. trikotret

trikotret Well-Known Member

Once you install the kernels you would need SetCpu to over clock and control the speed. Some roms already come in built with kernels. Ou can download petes BB v.4 and it comes with 800mhz. His script is setup to overclock and some say you wont need setcpu. I did a test for last couple of days and ran the BB .4 with no setcpu. Battery performance and speed were both great. Good Luck :D

droid37 and Branndon like this.
  3. droid37

Ya I see a lot of people are using bb.4.ill try that for my first one and see if there is a big difference. That's just a rom that I install just like I did with the stock 2.1 rom right? I use sprecovery so I do the whole rename and everything.

P.s. I already bought setpcu and dl rom manager once I rooted

4. droid37

Sorry double post

5. trikotret

Yeah same thing as you installed 2.1. the kernels are installed like that too. Look for some of the threads which give you an idea of the setcpu settings.

6. droid37

Ok sounds good. This is my plan to flash bb v.4 and then want the nex theme from fab. Is that just a dl on here or do I have to update.zip that as well?

7. trikotret

It depends which recovery you use. I personally like clockwork MOd recovery. You dont have to rename the file. You just flash it as is. But you have to make sure the file you are flashing is for SR or clockwork. Usually the developers will indicate.

8. droid37

ok since im new to this bare with me...i just flashed bb v.04 with the nextheme from fab on top of it and everything is awesome so far. just a quick easy question. i want to install some of his apks. do i do that over the phone or pc. i have astro so i think i just download it over the browser then use astro to install am i correct?

9. trikotret

YOu can either download to phone or pc. If from pc just transfer the files to the sdram and use astro to install. I would donwload straight to phone. Its much easier

10. droid37

ok going back to kernels. if i would like to update my kernel from the stock 800mhz one from bbv04 do i just install like a rom or do i have to delete the kernel and then install the new one.

11. trikotret

Install like a Rom. after the phone boots up go in setcpu and auto detect the new kernel speed. Or you can leave it to Pete's script to handle the speed. I tried both ways on this rom and both had good results...:D

12. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

I have BBv4 with Petes kernel and setCPU made my battery life much worse. It's the perfect balance of speed and battery life IMO.