Question about roms..

Last Updated:

1. diverdan182

diverdan182 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Is a rom just something that lets you run a new OS? i have a rooted 2.2 but what are the points of roms!?!? i googled it and that didnt help..If i put fresh snack or whatever as a rom(mount it im guessing?) does it delete all of my contacts apps etc??

Advertisement
  2. BDoC12

BDoC12 Member

When you flash a new ROM it will delete all your contacts, apps, etc. because you need to do a full data wipe. You can sync your apps with Google and backup all your apps with titanium backup before you flash a new ROM and then re-install them after you flash the new ROM.

3. SilverZero

SilverZero Member

A ROM is like a new software version. Think of it like a Linux distro (if that means anything to you). They're all the same at the core, but they have different tweaks, looks, included apps, etc. If that doesn't make sense, think of different Windows versions - Home, Ultimate, Student, etc. That's a slightly-less-apt analogy, but it works.

When you flash, everything is erased (except recovery partition, radios, and your SD card). You need to restore apps and contacts and such. Fortunately, that's mostly synced with Google or can be backed up with free Market programs.