Question about rooting 2.2

Last Updated:

1. kfox1087

kfox1087 New Member This Topic's Starter

Aug 12, 2010
    Hey Guys, new to the board here. Anyway, my mom owns a Moto Droid 1 and I took it upon myself to update her to 2.2 (not OTA though). Anyway, she is super excited about the mobile wifi hot spot feature but I am not paying extra on our bill for something I can do on my rooted incredible for free haha. My question is can I still use the easy one click root like the one over at droid life (Easy Root, the Newest 1-Touch DROID Rooting App | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog) or do I have to go back to 2.1 and then root? If I have to revert back to 2.1 can someone assist me on doing that? I'm very new to the whole rooting thing and even though I have a pretty good grasp on what I do on my incredible, I'm not familiar with hers at all.

My main concern is just being able to get her the wireless tether app that I have on my incredible.

Thanks in advance for any sort of help or guidance!

2. GideonX

GideonX Guest

I always prefer to go the traditional SPRecovery route instead of using the Easy Root app. I just dont feel comfortable letting an app perform this in the background. Anyhow...

Load SPRecovery SBF using RSD Lite
    Load rooted 2.2 rom, or grab any of the numerous customs out there
    Install wifi tether for root from the market

There's a sticky thread with more details in the forums as well. Good luck.
  3. patch

patch Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Easy Root works fine with 2.1 or 2.2 on Droid.

I rooted my stock OTA Froyo (FRG01B via Droid using Easy Root with no problems. Works great and is worth the dollar to save the time.

What doesnt make sense is how did you get 2.2 if not OTA?
  4. crg31953

crg31953 Active Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Easy Root worked well for me also. Just used it on my forced FRG01B Droid and all is good. Easy Root also allows you to unroot just as easily.

Good Luck