Question about Rooting and OTA update

Last Updated:

1. seahorse

seahorse New Member This Topic's Starter

I have a question regarding my specific phone and a future OTA update. I have a US Cellular Desire - I rooted it with Unrevoked 3 forever - only to free up some memory and take some apps off that were preloaded. I did not delete any stock files - or use a custom rom of any kind. My question is - when the 2.2 official OTA froyo update comes - will I be able to do it OTA since there is no custom rom? Or will I have to do it another way. If I have to do it another way -what is that process? I dont care if it stays rooted or not - I am new to all of this - and would actually prefer just to go with the 2.2 official froyo update and not be rooted in the future. Can anyone answer my question??? Thanks so much!!

Advertisement
  2. AMTrombley0924

AMTrombley0924 VIP Member VIP Member

The ability to get OTA updates is within the ROM. The reason some people don't get OTA updates is because they use ROMS that disable OTA updates. Thus, if you are just using the stock ROM, then you should get the OTA just fine, but I don't think you'd be rooted afterwards, though.

3. seahorse

Ok I was pretty sure I hadnt changed the ROM but now after some more research I might have?!?!
    Here is what my screen says now...

BRAVOC DVT2 SHIP S-OFF
    HBOOT 0.98.0000
    MICROP 051E
    TOUCH PANEL-SYNW0101
    RADIO-2.05.10.06.29

So does that mean when I did unrevoked and downloaded the bootloader that it changed the rom and I wont be able to do ota update? Or am I wrong? Is that something that it just says when it is rooted? Please help - Thanks in advance!

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Unrevoked roots and flashes custom.recovery. that is all. Ota doesn't always work.once rooted. Is it does work it will remove root.

If it doesn't work, you will need to wait for an ruu to become available.

You say you rooted to free up memory. How? Any method used in root to free up memory will probably be undone with am update

5. seahorse

I just deleted some of the apps that were preloaded to allow room for the apps I wanted - that is all. I really dont know enough about rooting to have done it really and now I wish I wouldnt have. If I have to wait on RUU is it generally available pretty quick after OTA is released? I really really hope the OTA works.....

6. SUroot

Often they ate leaked so may not even get one.

Erm /system apps don't give you more space when removed. Unless you're installing apps back to system via adb shell

7. seahorse

Yeah I found that out after the fact... ugh...Ok, so final question... I should be ok because I can either do OTA - or update myself once RUU is released? Should I go ahead and try OTA - and if that doesnt work do it the other way or will that mess it up if it doesnt work?? Thanks

8. SUroot

The thing is, if it doesn't work, your phone is broken until.you use an ruu. We don't know if there will be one available so youmay have to use a generic ruu. You will need a goldcard for this.

It all sounds risky to me. Id get a custom rom if I was you