Question about rooting the n1

Last Updated:

1. jakakxl

jakakxl New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello!

I just got my Nexus One recently and I must say I'm really impressed with it.

Looking around, I see talks of rooting the phone... I know that it enables you to tether your 3g connection, but other than that, what are the advantages of rooting?

Thank you!

Advertisement
  2. KCphotog

KCphotog Member

From what I have found.
    The phone is much smoother. The way it should have been stock. You get access to other apps like tether and torch which are nice but I think a simple unlock will get you those. Better memory was a big plus along with being able to boost the audio. Having multiple colors on the trackball is a bonus too along with a wake up feature. Lots of other features too depending on the ROM you choose. Many ROMs to choose from so you can find one that best suits you. Provided you find a good stable one.

Do yourself a huge favor and read and re-read a lot on the ROMs you are considering and pay attention to the install. There are no shortcuts here. Do it right once and enjoy.

3. jakakxl

jakakxl New Member This Topic's Starter

all right, thanks! I'll look into it!

4. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of the Cyanogen ROM's - only other ones I have tried are the Modaco Desire & Stock ROMs.

Couple of tips - as previous poster says, make sure you follow the instructions carefully for rooting; understand the implications for your warranty, etc.

Couple of other useful apps once you have rooted - Cyanogen Updater (if you go with his roms, as it makes updating a lot easier, though you still need to do Nandroids yourself); SetCPU will save you bags of battery life.

Any problems during the root, ask for help from people who have done this before. K?

5. mdubs

mdubs Member

Best advice I've seen in a while.

I was just putting the Android SDK on my Vista machine last night... something that you will need to do if you want to root.

I neglected to add the "\" at the end when adding the tools folder to Path.... :mad:

That turned into 3 hours of asking myself "WTF!".

Finally got that fixed but didn't have time to go through the whole root/custom ROM thing. Maybe that's for the better. I'm one of those cats that has a lot of issues with voiding the warranty on my new $530 toy.

I'll eventually crack and go through it but I urge you to think about this deeply before you run through this process.

6. Enndr

Enndr Well-Known Member

Everyone above is spot on.

I personally like the the option to tether w/o other programs, full 360 degree rotation, switching songs without having to open the phone back up (Hold volume to skip track), quicker/snappier, louder earpiece for phone calls and overall just more power over the phone.

I personally like Android because of its flexibility. I use a PC for my desktop for the same reason. So in my opinion I like have the same amount of control on my smartphone (which with the nexus one its a pocket pc almost).

If I wanted the o/s served to me the way they wanted without option I would be an Apple/Iphone user. Thank god I'm not. :)

7. Sk0t24

Sk0t24 Active Member

Am I the only one that did for the chicks dig it factor?

8. Enndr

Enndr Well-Known Member

I did but in the end my wife just called me a dork.... :(

9. mdubs

mdubs Member

Only problem with that theory is that it's mostly dudes that get all excited when they see it :eek:

My wife thinks it's hilarious that I am this stoked about a phone. She has the BB 9700 and loves it. She's not the tinkering type though.

She gets all bruised when I call it her "Old Lady Phone" :D