Question about saving and storageGeneral

Last Updated:

1. GAMESHARQ

GAMESHARQ Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How can I tell if my files/downloads are being saved to my phone storage or my SD card?

Also, how do I set my downloads to go to my SD card?

Advertisement
  2. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

Any file, pictures or pictures you download via a web browser, mms or email attachment will go to your sd card. Most will save to the Download but some program like web browsers will put a download directory in their own directory on the sd card i.e xscope. Android is very restrictive about what can be saved to main memory.

GAMESHARQ likes this.
  3. GAMESHARQ

Well I just got my phone yesterday and it came with a 2GB card. I've since downloaded a bunch of games, apps, and wallpapers and now it's telling me that I am low on memory.

My memory card says it has 1.84GB total and 1.84GB available, which would indicate that all of my downloads are going to the system memory and not the card.

How do I change this?

4. goo

goo Member

I'm in the same situation as gamesharq. I did some googling and read that you can't install apps to your sd card. Now if you root your phone that may be a different matter, but for non-rooted phones you can only install apps to internal memory as a security precaution (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!!!!!). That sucks. I was hoping to load up many dozens of apps like I have on my iPhone. Bah.

Ok, after more googling I found you need the Froyo 2.2 OS update to put apps on the SD card, but as to when or if VM will offer that to Intercept users I don't know.

GAMESHARQ likes this.
  5. GAMESHARQ

Interesting. I really hope they release 2.2 soon. I've barely downloaded anything and it's already low on memory.

What happens if I buy an app/game and I delete it to make room for another app/game? Can I re-download it again later for free or do I have to pay for it again?

6. csiemers

csiemers Well-Known Member

You can download it later for free.

-Cary
    www.youtube.com/tanksandplanes (Intercept videos)

7. GAMESHARQ

If we can't save apps to our SD card, then what is the point of having an SD card?

8. k7aay

k7aay Member

Data: Music, e-books, pictures, documents.

This will be resolved if Android 2.2 makes it to your phone; until then, you have to juggle memory vs apps. I am choosing apps not only based on functionality but also memory consumed. Sucks, but, that's life.

9. goo

goo Member

I sent email to VM asking if or when the 2.2 update will be released to Intercept users. When I hear a response I'll post it here.

10. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

The confusion here is what you consider a downloaded file. Anything that has to be installed like apps, games, and wallpaper will go to main memory. Files downloaded through the browser, messaging or email go to the card. As mentioned, 2.2 will allow some apps to be moved to the card. App2SD can work with 2.1, but it's usually implemented in a rom. I can't find any reference to it working on the Intercept. In the mean time, you'll have to prune out the stuff you don't use. Most apps are relatively small, but be carefull with games. Some are huge. What's worse is that many can't run from the SD even in 2.2.

11. goo

goo Member

So I had contacted VM to ask if or when they were going to release 2.2 to users. The response:

"We don't certainly know when the Froyo 2.20 operating system will be available for updates, as soon as it becomes active, we will post it in our website, stay tune!"

/sigh

12. kptaylor

kptaylor Active Member

Similar response to my query. "It'll be released when it's available." Just fill out the survey they send and tell them that's not exactly the kind of response you were looking for...

13. one80oneday

one80oneday Well-Known Member