Question about SIM card swappingSupport

Last Updated:

1. Chew

Chew Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I googled around the net and searched here a bit (SIM is a little short to bring up results), but didn't find anything.

Even though I've had my Captivate for over 2 months, the ATT website is allowing me to "upgrade" my phone with out-of-contract pricing. The Captivate has been a good phone, but I'm just have a lot of problems with it. Today was the third time a call has come in and nothing I did would allow me to answer it before it went to voicemail (it would only cycle between a blank screen and the lock screen---and I couldn't swipe out of the lock screen)

Even though the Aria is inferior in a lot of ways to the Captivate, from everything I've read it "just works".

I don't know a whole lot about SIM cards. If I keep the Captivate and buy an Aria, is it just as easy as swapping the active SIM card between the two devices for which one is currently my active phone, or is there more to it?

I don't want to completely give up on the Captivate before Froyo, but I kinda need a phone I can receive calls on. ;)

Advertisement
  2. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Well-Known Member

You should be fine. You may want to call att and ask them to do an imei swap. Basically it attaches the imei number of the phone to your phone number. That way they know what phone you have, though its not necessary.

3. NorCal Einstein

NorCal Einstein Well-Known Member

I originally owned a Blackberry (and was on "Blackberry Unlimited Data" plan). I bought my Captivate off contract and it was mailed to me, once I got it I swapped my sim from the BB to Captivate, expecting that I'd need to call AT&T to let them know of my switch. But I didn't have to do any of that, everything worked perfectly and my AT&T account page online showed me as using a Captivate instead of a Bold.

You're good to swap sims back and forth. In my case, I was a little worried because I was going from that "Blackberry data" to whatever they call data on non-BB phones. But now I've found that to be a non-issue.

4. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

If u feel like your calls are not coming through it may not be your phone. It could also be your simcard.

5. mratlndmrk

mratlndmrk Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be an issue. I do it all the time between my old BB and the Captivate. I use the old BB when I play golf for the Golf GPS program. Hopefully when the GPS issue is fixed that won't be necessary anymore.

6. Chew

Chew Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I haven't pulled the trigger on that Aria yet, but I did swap out my SIM card between the Captivate and my old iPhone 3G. The phone worked, but I could not access any data. Is that just a quirk of the iPhone? I don't want to order an Aria if I have to call AT&T everytime I want to swap phones.