• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about SIM card

dswift

Lurker
Jan 10, 2011
Hi Everyone:

My son just bought a used G T-mobile. It looks to be in good shape, except that it does not have a SIM card. He only wants the phone to play games, listen to music, and take pics. He will not have a service plan on it. I had read on this forum that this was doable. Before we go ahead and buy a SIM card, are we going to run into any other problems about connectivity before he is allowed to do what he wants to do? I'm not much help to him, since I know nothing at all about cell phones. Is a SIM card the same as an SD card? Can we just buy one at Radio Shack?

My son would be extremely grateful for your help. Many thanks,

Doug

You don't need a SIM card to run the phone, and connect using WIFI. Everything should work just fine (except applications the need cellular).

He'll even be able to use his Google account through WIFI. When I first got my Nexus One I got everything set up on WIFI before i even put my SIM card in.

The SIM card is not the same as the SD card. The most phones now take a micro SD card, it's just a memory card and they are getting pretty cheap. A SIM card has memory but it's only used to hold the cellular account info.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones