• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about spelling auto-correction

Mubble

Jul 20, 2010
On my old Blackberry I could programme the dictionary to change certain letter combos in to the correct words. Kind of like - "helo" > "hello".

As this was user programmable, it was also useful for including things like - "hl" > "hello mate".

On to my point. I write " I'll " a lot but get annoyed sticking the apostrophe in. If I write it without the apostrophe, it's just the word "ill" so it doesn't change it to "i'll". On my Blackberry I made "il" become "I'll".

Can you do this on the Desire?

Or, if I type " il " and keep selecting " I'll " from the suggested spellings, will the dictionary eventually change its default suggestion?

Try Swiftkey. It works amazing. keeps learning with every message/email you type. also your history of sms messages. It does amazing auto correct and suggestions based on your history. If I type H, it get offered Hi. If I type my name, I get offered both my surname and "& xxxxx" (my wife's name). best keyboard app yet.

Upvote 0
Just installed swiftkey. I like it. Definitely helps learn the words I use which makes it what I wanted. Thanks. I can type "il" and after a while of selecting "I'll" it's now become the 'spacebar' default suggestion. Will take some getting use to though as I'm not used to it already knowing what I want to type before even I do!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones