Question about spelling auto-correction

Last Updated:

1. Mubble

Mubble Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

On my old Blackberry I could programme the dictionary to change certain letter combos in to the correct words. Kind of like - "helo" > "hello".

As this was user programmable, it was also useful for including things like - "hl" > "hello mate".

On to my point. I write " I'll " a lot but get annoyed sticking the apostrophe in. If I write it without the apostrophe, it's just the word "ill" so it doesn't change it to "i'll". On my Blackberry I made "il" become "I'll".

Can you do this on the Desire?

Or, if I type " il " and keep selecting " I'll " from the suggested spellings, will the dictionary eventually change its default suggestion?

Advertisement
  2. Eugene's Mac

Eugene's Mac Well-Known Member

Try Swiftkey. It works amazing. keeps learning with every message/email you type. also your history of sms messages. It does amazing auto correct and suggestions based on your history. If I type H, it get offered Hi. If I type my name, I get offered both my surname and "& xxxxx" (my wife's name). best keyboard app yet.

3. Mubble

Mubble Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just installed swiftkey. I like it. Definitely helps learn the words I use which makes it what I wanted. Thanks. I can type "il" and after a while of selecting "I'll" it's now become the 'spacebar' default suggestion. Will take some getting use to though as I'm not used to it already knowing what I want to type before even I do!

4. pcaustin

pcaustin New Member

I use the hardware keyboard (on my G2) and it already does "il" to "I'll" and several others. I really want it to change "id" to "I'd" but can't find where to set that up. Anybody know?