Question about T-Moble and Wifi callingSupport

Last Updated:

1. Arehexes

Arehexes Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was wondering if the galaxy phone on t-moble can use wifi calling? I'm getting a little annoyed at Verizon being quite about it's version.

Advertisement
  2. mrcamp

mrcamp Well-Known Member

I would think so. But you will need a 3rd party app such as skype, googlevoice, etc. If you are talking about UMA. No, I do not believe this phone is UMA capable.

Arehexes likes this.
  3. Arehexes

Thanks, I'm trying to figure if it's worth jumping to T-Moble or not (so far I might stick with Verizon to keep my unlimited data plan). I just wish the Big V would release some news about the Fascinate. But thanks for the answer I don't know much about t-moble.

4. brodie7838

brodie7838 Member

mrcamp is right, it does not do UMA. T-Mobile had an employee conference in Seattle recently and they supposedly are investigating developing and Android app that will allow Wi-Fi calling, while not true 'UMA' it would more or less be the same thing. Let's hope they decide to do it.

5. phatlipboardz

phatlipboardz Member

I would love a UMA or wifi type calling feature on Android. So far, it's the only thing I really miss about the BB.

6. Arehexes

It's making it temping to switch over to T-Moble.

7. cybertea201

cybertea201 New Member

8. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

If you want wife calling from your cell phone, you need to have an UMA device. The blackberry bold 9700 has UMA, but you need to remember, even when calling over wifi, it uses your minutes, which I think is bullshit.

9. mavictb

mavictb Well-Known Member

I agree... I mean really? I have to use min. over wifi (which I pay another company for) because your coverage isnt good enough inside my house. F that!

10. aci78

aci78 Well-Known Member

BS. Agreed. But for folks like myself who live in the middle of Bumfukt, Egypt,where reception is horrible- UMA at least lets me cancel my additional $55 worthless landline. Now to buy my free BBs from the T-Mob.
    Additional lines are free for 2 years. That should save me some money. Just have to try to talk some common sense into my wife now. By far the hardest part.

11. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

when i use google voice with my wifi turned on it still deducts the minutes. I do however make free wifi calls using vonage's app that lets you call any one of your facebook contacts for free as long as they have the app also